Can ReFirme Tighten Loose Skin Caused by Weight Loss?

I have lost a lot of weight after Gastric Bypass surgery. The lower half of my face is saggy, especially under my chin. I don't want any invasive procedures and am considering having ReFirme treatments. I know it won't be as good as surgery, but can I expect some tightening of the skin?

Refirme after weight loss: not a good option

+2

I do like Refirme and use it often in my practice. It works for skin tightening on properly selected candidates who are willing to have the series of treatments done.  However, anyone who has undergone massive weight loss (congratulations, by the way!) is NOT going to be a good candidate for Refirme.  You would regret spending your money on that procedure. You need a surgical procedure to get a result.

ReFirme could help if skin is the only problem

+2

Three items contribute to the neck sagginess in this area: skin, fat, and muscle. If you have little amount of fat, no muscle bands and only skin. Skin firming techniques will help you a lot. If fat or muscle bands are present then you will benefit from lipo and muscle plication. Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Refirme skin tightening

+1
It is always difficult to predict how nonsurgical laser technologies will work on patients. Some experience a dramatic improvement while others experience only a minor improvement. You can certainly try the technology to see if it works for you. However, massive weight loss patients usually require much more than a nonsurgical laser treatment to achieve any measurable improvement.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

ReFirme

+1

Depends on the skin, but surgery is usually the preferred treatment of this problem. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Your results may be more difficult to achieve

+1

My practice is focused on weight loss patients, and I am adopting Refirm in the near future. Patients who have had surgery to lose weight have skin that is markedly more difficult to treat, even with surgery.

The absolute amount of weight lost, number of weight gain and loss cycles you have had, and age all play a role here.

My hopes are that the system can offer a little bit of extra tightening for my patients after surgery on areas we may not have corrected fully. I think that patients with minimal wrinkles and good skin (i.e. the ones that need it least !) will also benefit.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS