Is It Possible to Refine the Tip and Reduce my Small (in my Opinion Bump) Without Breaking the Bones? (photo)

Dear All, I am considering a nose job, however I like my bridge and wouldn't want to alter it dramatically, perhaps filing down the slight bump. However, my main goal is to refine the tip and make it narrower and thinner. So from a professional point of view, do you think it would be possible to do that without breaking my nasal bones? Thank you in advance Katie

Possible to refine tip and reduce dorsum without fractures?

+1

Yes it is possible to do that by simply rasping, etc. However, if after refinement the tip is out of sync with the dorsum and dorsal base, fractures may be necessary. 

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

If you are mainly interested in only addressing the bridge, nasal hump, and tip, you may be able to do so without osteotomies to break your nasal bones.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Tip Rhinoplasty without Changing Bridge

+1

For many years I've felt that all surgery should be individualized so you can focus on desired changes in your tip if you decide to have surgery. Minimal reduction of the bridge can be done without breaking your bones. Consult with an experienced surgeon because I recommend that you to at least consider removing the hump but still have a strong profile.

Tip work without osteotomy

+1

You pose a good question. Only on direct exam could you know for sure but it appears that you need you tip narrowed and set back relative to you upper lip. Once you do this and just file down the bump you are going to look wide relative to the new tip. You don't look wide now because of the bump but if you don't keep all changes in balance you will not like the result.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty without Osteotomies

+1

The tip can be refined as you want and the hump can be filed down through a closed approach.  However, after the hump is filed, if the bones are not broken the bridge will appear wider.   You will want harmony with the smaller tip.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty without breaking the nose

+1

based on your photos it appears that you would be able to get a nice and natural improvement of your nose without the need to break the nasal bones

Sam Naficy, MD

Is it Possible to Have Rhinoplasty Without Mobilizing the nasal Bones?

+1

I am agreement with the other Dr.'s comments in that a thorough examination would be required prior to a set plan.  In viewing your frontal photograph I do feel that you might be able to accomplish your goals without the need for a fracture of your nasal bones.  I would suggest the following approach:

• Removal of Dorsal Hump
  • Shorten the nose
  • Aggressive tip refinement and reduction with possible cartilage tip graft.

This plan is possible because of the width of the tip of your nose and if hump removal is not to extensive. 

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty without breaking the nose

+1

In the majority of cases the nasal bones must be broken when a hump is removed.  As your surgeon  shaves down the hump, the nose bridge immediately becomes wider. It's important not to create an open roof deformity.  It is difficult to tell from the photographs whether your nose bones need to be broken or not.  Refinement of the tip will also need to be accomplished during the rhinoplasty. Computer imaging, consultation,and physical exam with a rhinoplasty specialist will best sort out the answers  to your question

Is It Possible to Refine the Tip and Reduce my Small (in my Opinion Bump) Without Breaking the Bones?

+1

Based upon the restrictive posted photos, you need a full rhinoplasty with fractures in my opinion. Best to have a few evaluations in person. 

Rhinoplasty for the tip

+1

Dear Katie_K,

• You ask a very good question and it comes up frequently
  • The main issue is how tall the bump is and sometimes, after removing a bump, the nose is left wider and flatter
  • We would need to reset the bones so that the nose does not look disproportionate after surgery
  • When you are ready, go to a couple of consultations where all of your concerns can be addressed
  • Resetting the nasal bones does not add discomfort, and it may be necessary to get that great result
  • The tip can be refined nicely as well

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD