Can You Refer Me to Surgeon in South Carolina for Cankle Surgery?

I have ugly cankles and want to get them taken care of. What surgical procedure do you recommend, liposuction or another less invasive procedure? How safe is it and can you recommend a surgeon in the Columbia, South Carolina area?

Surgeon in South Carolina

+1

The ASPS website is a good starting point for a list of qualified surgeons. Dr. Harold Friedman and Dr. Richard Wassermann may be two possibilities. Consult with 2 - 3 surgeons in your area to find one that best meets your needs.

Small cannula liposculpture (careful and precision liposuction) is the only solution that is effective and worthwhile!

+1

Since the calves and ankles and the most dependent areas of the body to operate on, edema and scar tissue make "standard" techniques mostly inadequate (ineffective). Aggressive liposuction with small-diameter cannulas will yield nice results but will take several months to achieve your final appearance. This is a difficult area for the "occasional liposuction surgeon" to perform adequate fat removal, and of course, the conservative and careful surgeon will tend to be LESS aggressive, when this area actually requires what would be EXCESSIVE in any other area of the body.

You should see an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon who has years of liposuction experience and is comfortable with this area (meaning: has done lots of calves and ankles, not just having a "can-do" attitude)!

BTW, laser-assisted liposuction (any kind or "brand") or power-assisted liposuction provide no specific advantage over precision technique, but are not "wrong;" they just shouldn't warrant extra cost. RF (radio frequency--any kind or "brand name") is not harmful but will only reduce your wallet, NOT your cankles! Mesotherapy or any kind of "lipodissolve" can cause severe problems and should not even be considered or recommended.

Back to my earlier recommendation: make sure your surgeon is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, not other (non-plastic surgery) boards or "bogus" boards. Dr. Joe Hunstad is one such colleague and friend; he is worth the relatively close travel. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of calves and ankles

+1

Lipo of the calves and ankles can be very effective.  It can also be quite difficult to perform.   I learned liposuction during my training in NYC from Dr. Pitman who is one of the world leaders in liposuction.  If you can make it NYC, I think Dr. Pitman is the best.  I would be happy to speak with you about it if you don't want to go all the way to NYC.  I have significant experience in this technique.  Good Luck

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon