African American worried about getting keloid scars after Open Rhinoplasty - what are the risk of getting a keloid?

I'll be having an open rhinoplasty, and I'm really scared that my face would be destroyed by keloids. I've already spoke to my surgeon and he told me that there could be a risk that my scares leave keloids, especially in an open rhino for a Afro. Could tell me more about that please?? Thank you

Avoiding keloids with African American rhinoplasty

Thank you for asking about your African American rhinoplasty.

I understand your concern.
  • Have you had your ears pierced? If so, and if you did not form keloids, chances are you will not.
  • We do not understand keloids.
  • If you are having your nostrils reduced, you cannot avoid an incision in your skin.
  • But if you are only having the bridge raised and the tip refined, it can be done through a closed rhinoplasty - which means no skin incisions.
  • Discuss this possibility with your surgeon.
  • And if you are having nostril reduction, discuss the possibility of a test incision first, to see how you heal.
  • Although keloids are uncommon in the central part of the face - they can occur.
  • Your concern should be taken seriously.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.