Will reduction of a prominent nasal spine help to reduce an over-projected tip?

I would really appreciate some advice. I have a nose with an over-projected tip and a prominent nasal spine. Will reduction of the nasal spine help reduce the over-projection?

Will reduction of a prominent nasal spine decrease my tip projection?

+2
  • Reducing the prominent nasal spine can affect the top of the nose and also the relationship of the nose to the upper lip. A very prominent nasal spine can cause tethering of the upper lip as well is contribute to see over projecting nasal tip. Reductions in nasal spine does not always lead to a significant reduction in the projection.Other techniques are very frequently needed. I would recommend that you check with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasty and can show use similar cases he is treated in the past. Best wishes!

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to reduce the prominent nasal spine and overly projecting nose

+2
 To de-project a prominent  and overly-projecting nose, dorsal reduction of the cartilage and bone is required. Reducing a prominent nasal spine can also de-project the nose. For many examples, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Overprojected nose with prominent nasal spine.

+2
Overprojected nose with prominent nasal spine can be reduced by removal of part of the nasal spine if the surgeon knows how to do this, Do not try to figure out technical issues--select a surgeon who does natural noses as he will know how this and other requirements of your nose should be handled.

+2
Without an examination, it is impossible to clearly tell you what the effect of reducing a prominent nasl spine will have on the appearance of the nasal tip.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Spine Manipulation

+2
The answer to this question depends!  If you are wanting to the overall look of the nose seem less projected, reducing the nasal spine tends to make the nose look more projected rather than less.  You can see this if you use a photo morphing software and look at the relative appearance of tip to face on this.  If the spine is reduced and the septum consequently loses support, the tip can lose projection.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
   You really just need an expert to examine you.  Sometimes a tip needs deprojection through a number of different maneuvers.  The nasal spine can have different effects on nasal balance.