Reduction of Middle Turbinate Can Cause Nose Bleed?

I have done tonsillectomy, septoplasty and bilateral terbinate reduction. My nose still bleed it's been 3 years now. What can cause of my nose bleed? I attached my surgery procedure and CT report

Septoplasty surgery

+1

Dear sanijee,

• Nosebleeds most often occur in the winter time and when the air dries out the skin inside of your nose
  • It is usually a relatively easy problem to address if there is an offending vessel that keeps bleeding
  • An exam would be able to address your concerns so we can see the site of the bleeding

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Inferior Turbinate Reduction and Nose Bleeds

+1

Inferior turbinate reduction and septoplasty as well as nose surgery of any kind have the potential to create mucosal changes, which may increase nose bleeds.  You need an internal nasal exam to look for abnormalities.

Nasal bleeding after turbinate surgery

+1

Yes, it is possible that turbinate surgery can lead to more nose bleeds. It sounds like you need an evaluation by your surgeon.

Nose bleed

+1

Although unusual, epistaxis can occur after surgery from turbulent airflow or uncompensated increased airflow causing the nasal mucosa to dry and crack (similar to chapped lips). This is more common in dryer climates and in the winter. The frequent utilization of nasal saline spray usually alleviates this. If it persists despite proper moisturization a thorough nasal examination by an Otolaryngologist is indicated.

John C. Ferguson, MD
Honolulu Facial Plastic Surgeon

Persistent bleeding of the nose after rhinoplasty needs to be evaluated.

+1

Partial turbinate removal can change airflow patterns in the nose. Most of the time this is favorable. Occasionally it can lead to desiccation of the lining which can cause nosebleeds.

Cause of Nose Bleeds varies from patients

+1

Dear Sanijee, 

While nose bleeds may be very traumatic most are not serious.  Nosebleeds are divided into two areas depending whether the bleeding is coming from the anterior or posterior region of the nose. Anterior nosebleeds make up over 90% of all nose bleeds. These typically stem from a blood vessel at the front part of the nose. Posterior nosebleeds are not as common as they tend to occur more often in elderly patients.This bleeding usually comes from an artery in the back part of the nose. These nosebleeds require and ENT or specialist. I would suggest with your history that you see an expert in this field and bring your CT scans with you for a full evaluation and direct examination. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD