Will a Reduction Help Me? (photo)

I am 27 years old, 5'1'', 130 lbs and wearing a 34DD. I have been professionally fitted for bras and have been told that they really don't make them that size. So, it is extremely difficult to find bras that give support and still feel attractive in. I have also learned that naturally large breast are not always "perky". I am curious if a breast reduction to maybe a c cup will help me achieve my desired look or will a lift be necessary? I have lost weight before but my breast did not decrease size.

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question.  Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery;  this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

The first/ best step would involve meeting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your goals. Learn about the breast reduction procedure and the potential risk/complications associated with the procedure. The attached link may be helpful to you in this regard.

Once you have decided to proceed with breast reduction surgery it will be important to communicate your goals clearly. With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” etc. means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Most of my patients patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso.

Sometimes the breast reduction procedure is “covered” by health insurances. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
 This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Breast reduction

+1

Hi June,

Thanks for the post. Yes, i agree with the other PS here: a breast reduction is an excellent option for you. A breast reduction is one of my favorite procedures. it combines both the functional aspects of plastic surgery ( improved back, neck shoulder pain, exercise tolerance, breathing difficulties) as well as the cosmetic ( better shape, symmetry, perkiness) into one procedure. 

You should have a couple consultations with board certified PS. 

a full C is a good option for size and will allow you to have projection and shape without being too large. 

remember that weight will affect your size, so it's best to keep a medium weight and be healthy before and after surgery. 

best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Good candidatye for reduction

+1

I think you would be a very good candidate.You could reshape your breats and take soem weight oiff of your shoulders.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Breast reduction?

+1

From your picture you appear to be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. Most women have significant relief of symptoms of back, neck and shoulder discomfort after reduction. The procedure removes excess tissue as well as lifts the breasts. Have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to get more information on this procedure.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for breast reduction

+1

Your story and pictures lead me to believe that a breast reduction/ mastopexy will be beneficial, both physically and psychologically.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Good Candidate For Breast Reduction

+1

Thank you for your question and photo. You would be a good candidate for a breast reduction. The procedure would lift your breasts and reduce the size. This would likely improve any back and neck symptoms and make it easier to find bras and clothing that fit.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction for you

+1

As you have noted, large breasts are not usually perky. A breast reduction which decreases the size of the breasts also lifts them so they are in a more normal position for the smaller breast. If you are uncomfortable with the size of your breasts and have back or shoulder pain, you may very well benefit from a breast reduction. The big tradeoffs are you will get scars and probably will not be able to breast feed. Get an appointment with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss your goals and options. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

+1

A breast reduction was designed to improve neck, shoulder, back pain, and rashes under the breasts by BOTH reducing the weight and lifting the breasts.  By lifting and reducing the breasts, they make the breasts "perky" and they do improve the ability of the breasts to fit in a bra.  Anatomically, I think you would be an excellent candidate for a breast reduction.
Best wishes!

Patrick C. Wilson, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction in the right patient gives spectacular results

+1

Since you are not markedly over weight and you have very large  breast which make you very uncomfortable, breast reduction would be a great option for you. Not only will a reduction mammoplasty markedly reduce the size of yours breast it will elevate the nipple areolar complex and make your breast perky. This should last if the appropriate techniques are used. The biggest complaint I get from my reduction mammary patients is ,"I wish I had done this sooner."

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast reduction or lift

+1

By your history and photos I believe you could benefit from a breast reduction.  This surgery would reduce the size of your breasts but also lift it at the same time.  The trade-off is that you will end up with scars on your breast in the shape of a lollipop or anchor.  I hope this helps.

Clyde H. Ishii, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon