Implant Reduction by Diameter

The dimensions of my existing implant size is 9.9/4.0. It might sound small to others but I find it too big even at 6 months post-op. :( What are the repercussions on going smaller in diameter? I'm considering going with a 9.0/2.9 sizing implant.

Narrower implants

+2

Without an exam and the measurements of your actual breast dimensions, the impact of implant diameter is very difficult to judge. Assuming the implants you currently have are appropriate for you breast anatomy, a narrower implant is likely to give you less cleavage and less augmentation, however they will also be more camouflaged by your natural breast tissue. The more obvious change will be the decrease in the projection. Going from 4cm to 2.9cm will definitely be a noticeable difference in the size of your breasts.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Smaller breast implants

+2

More narrow implant may increase apparent intermammary distance, superior fullness, and of course, your projection and the resulting curves in your figure.  A recommendation for or against is impossible to make without knowing your base width, and, quite frankly, doing a physical exam or at least seeing a picture.  It is hard to imagine 9.9 cm wide implants being a physical impediment unless you are a very high performance athlete or are quite diminutive in stature.

Steve Laverson, MD

Implant re-sizing

+2

It is possible to choose a smaller diameter and the consequences are few.  I would suggest seeing a few board certified practitioners in order to gain as much information as possible.  This will help you to make your decision.  Take your time.  You will not want to have surgery again without achieving your desired results.  Good luck!!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Smaller implants

+2

If you go with a smaller implant, there will be a wider gap between the edges of the implants and wider cleavage. The decision to change implants is not one to be taken lightly. This is an issue you should explore with your surgeon, after additional measurements are taken. This does not sound like a major change, but I don't have your initial measurements for comparison purposes. Good luck.

James M. Kurley, MD
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

The size of the implant should be balanced by the size of your chest.

+2

The size of the implant should be balanced by the size of your chest.  Despite having your height and weight everyone is built differently.  It is difficult to determine what the optimum sized implant is for you.

As part of my consultation I perform measurements and then give my patients a size range of implants that would work for them.  Then they try on implants until they find the look and the proportions that they are looking for.

Unfortunately it is more difficult now going down in size because it is not possible to remove small amounts of the implant so you can see the result in the mirror.  This is where you need to trust you doctor and make sure that he/she knows what your expectations are.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant diameters are relative to the width of the chest

+2

When making a choice to go to a smaller diameter implant, remember that your combined diameter right now is 9.9 x 2 = 19.8 cm.  The combined diameter of the smaller implants is 9 x 2= 18 cm, so you will lose 1.8 cm in overall implant width. I mention that because you will have more space in between the breasts. Sometimes that is fine, since the goal of a smaller implant overrides the cleavage concerns. 

Just make sure you take a ruler and draw out your present and future implant diameters so you can visualize them.  In the end, the decision is yours and most of the time patients need to trust their instincts.  Check with your doctor and have a lengthy discussion ahead.

Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant diameter decrease or downsizing

+1

If it is relatively early, downsizing should proceed uneventfully. Going with too small a diameter breast implant in a breast with a larger breast diameter can create a breast with unusual contours.

Breast implants too large

+1

You can decrease the size but the amount you are talking about will do very little. Each 120-150cc is about one cup size and 5cc is about a tablespoon. Watch my videos!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing breast implants to a smaller diameter

+1

You can reduce the size and diameter of your breast implants if you are unhappy with your current size.  The more narrow implants usually have slightly more projection (high profile implants).  You should carefully review these implant differences with your plastic surgeon and look at them in the office before changing your size.  Sometimes the pocket where the implant resides may need to be adjusted to accomodate the new implant dimensions.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast augmentation, breast implants

+1

I agree that without photos this is difficult to evaluate.  I certainly recommend discussing this with your surgeon.  Review your preoperative plan and your current photos with your preop to evaluate your situation adequately.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS