Can I Have a Reduction in One Breast and Reconstruct in the Other

had a mastectomy on left and the right is a 38G. I need a reduction and reconstruction.

Breast Reconstruction and Breast Reduction

+1

The short answer to your question is absolutely. Breast reconstruction not only deals with the breast that had cancer but also on the opposite breast. The technical details, how to stage the procedures, vary from one plastic surgeon to another. But in short, you should start out by making an appointment with a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs breast reconstruction as part of their practice.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Breast reduction and breast reconstruction

+1

This is a very common combination of procedures. The staging can vary from one individual to another. I occasionally use the areola and nipple of the larger side to reconstruct the mastectomy side.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

+1

Christine,

This is a great question.   I think you should visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn what options that you are a candidate for in breast reconstruction.   Breast Reconstruction usually involves 3 separate procedures.   One inpatient procedure and 2 outpatient procedures:

1st Procedure:  Breast Mound via tissue expander or abdominal (DIEP/TRAM) or back (latissimus dorsi) tissue

2nd Procedure:  Symmetry achieved by contouring reconstructed breast mound and reducing your opposite breast to achieve symmetry.   This procedure is typically done 2-3 months after the 1st procedure.   I would recommend doing the breast reduction at this stage to achieve the best shape, size, and symmetry to the reconstructed breast

3rd Procedure: Nipple and Areola Reconstruction

I hope this helps and I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Breast reconstruction and balancing reduction

+1
Yes you most certainly can have a reconstruction and opposite breast reduction at the same time. Some surgeons prefer to do the reduction at a later date to allow for the reconstructed breast to heal and for its shape to settle. This allows for perhaps slightly better symmetry between the two breasts. Sincerely, Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast reconstruction and a reduction on the opposite side

+1

I am sorry to hear about the need for a mastectomy but hopefully it will protect your health.  Reconstruction can be done and often requires a reduction or lift on the opposite side to help the match be better.  This is routinely done and is covered by insurance.

Breast Reduction and Reconstruction

+1

Thanks for the question.

It is quite common to find patients with unilateral mastectomies who undergo reconstruction and subsequently need either a mastopexy or a breast reduction on the contralateral side for symmetry. I recommend you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your region who has a practice emphasis in breast reconstruction.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Web reference: http://www.BeverlyHillsCosmeticSurgeon.com

Other Breast in Breast Reconstruction

+1

You certainly can have a reduction of your very large opposite breast in conjunction with your breast reconstruction following mastectomy.  In fact there is a Federal law which mandates this which has been in effect for several years.

Breast Reduction and breast reconstruction

+1

After a breast reconstruction a breast balancing procedure is usually done to the opposite breast to obtain symmetry.

This can be achieved with a reduction, lift or even an augmentation if needed.

So what you are asking about is part of the complete reconstruction process of your breast following the mastectomy.

All the best

Breast redcution and reconstruction

+1

Breast reconstruction usually includes making the two breasts symmetrical whether to reduce, augment or lift tha other breast.  This is quite common.

+1

Yes of course you can. Seek a boarded Plastic Surgeon in your area. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski, best of luck. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.