How Much Reduction Can Be Achieved in Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I am looking to have reduction rhinoplasty to make the distance between my face and nose tip smaller. I am curious as to roughly how much can be taken off and what technique would be used, is it osteotomy? I am happy with how my nose looks front on, but realise that the tip is uneven so may have one side lifted or lowered, probably the latter.

A Reduction Rhinoplasty Should Give You Great Results

+2

It sure sounds like you would be very happy with the results of a rhinoplasty. From the side, the entire nose would need to be made a bit smaller. This would be done by reducing the dorsum (decreasing the projection of the nasal bones and the cartilage that makes up the bridge of the nose), and also by decreasing the projection of the tip of the nose (this would be done by modifying the tip cartilage so that they don't stick out a far). At the same time that the tip cartilage is being modified to make the nose look good from the side, it would also be changed to give more symmetry from the front.While any rhinoplasty procedure can be difficult, the changes you are looking for are not too difficult and the results, if done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, should be very good.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good Candidate for Reduction Rhinoplasty

+1

Your photos are very helpful.  Judging by the profile, your nose has mild overprojection, and there are several methods to measure it, but the bottom line is not to be too aggressive about reducing it, especially with your face- it has great definition (chin, jaw angles and cheekbones).  To reduce it, some surgeons prefer a closed approach while some prefer open, depending on their training and expertise.  Don't be discouraged if a surgeon recommends an open approach- this heals beautifully.  Reducing the tip will likely require reducing the profile to match, otherwise a rounding/drooping profile may result, and to do this, osteotomies will be needed to narrow the bony part of the nose (the upper 1/3 of the nose).  On the frontal view, you're right, there is some tip asymmetry, with your right side hanging slightly lower than the left (this area is referred to as the infratip lobule), and should not be difficult to correct.  But I always issue a word of warning to my rhinoplasty patients- symmetry is almost never truly achieved as a result, although we always strive for it.

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

A reduction rhinoplasty ...

+1

The goal of a rhinoplasty is to create an aesthetically balanced nose where the tip, in relation to the dorsal (bridge) and the width (at its base), are all in harmony.  Other parts of the face, such as the length of the upper lip and projection of the chin can affect the overall appearance of the nasal size.

Therefore the answer to your question is - it depends on more than just the tip projection since this could affect the appearance of all the other elements of your nose. Any sizable reduction of the ‘the size’ of the nose in my hands typically requires an open rhinoplasty approach. I find this allows me to better appreciate the internal structure in such a way that the post-operative result has less surprises. 

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Projection Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Jack,

Thank you for great resolution photographs and for your question as well.

What you are looking for should be performed by board certified surgeon of extensive experience in Rhinoplasty as the procedure required is of a delicate/precise nature.

Your nasal dorsum (bridge) and nasal tip could be improved to better reveal your facial features.

I encourage you to seek consultation where face to face examination could give you the right tools to make a well informed decision.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Reducing Nasal Projection

+1

The distance between the face and the tip is called tip projection which can be reduced with rhinoplasty surgery. An osteotomy is necessary only if the bone of the bridge is changed. Projection is decreased by removing or repositioning the tip cartilages. Select an experienced surgeon because this can increase the width of your tip which should also be modified.

How Much Reduction Can Be Achieved in Rhinoplasty?

+1

You have over-projection of your tip, asymmetric lower cartilages and slight dorsal hump. These can easily be addressed by an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon. The tip cartilages will be sutured together to elevate the right one and slightly narrow the tip. The dorsum will be lowered until the over-projection is corrected. Osteotomy is to narrow the side walls and in fact raises the dorsum slightly which need to be compensated.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhioplasty reduction

+1

Looking at your photos, I think you would be a great candidate for a rhinoplasty.  We could bring the tip back a little and get the profile to match it.  You want the tip to project so that it matches the height of your upper lip.  Computer morphing can give you a pretty accurate picture of what to expect.  Osteotomy are used to narrow the nasal bones to make your nose a little thinner on frontal view.  The best way to find out which technique to use is to have a consultation.  Depending on what your goals are, you can do this closed or open.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD