How Can I Reduce the Size of my Areolas?

I am a 23 year old male and I'm having serious self confidence issues due to the actual size/diameter of my aereola around my nipple. I had surgery for gynecomastia 6 years ago, and whilst the surgery removed the puffiness of my nipples, the actual diameter is still really big.

I'm quite slender in frame now and my nipples look really odd. Is there anything that can be done to actually reduce aereola size, considering I've previously had gynecomastia surgery? Kind regards.

Areola Reduction

+1

Yes, you are a candidate for areola reduction. Fortunately, this is a procedure that can often be done under local anesthesia and is less invasive than your previous surgery.

It would be wise for you to consider the  scar that will result, around the  areola. The appearance of the scar may range from a fine line to a wide/thick/raise scar (that may require scar revision surgery).

Please make sure you're working with a well experienced/board-certified plastic surgeon.

Male areola reduction

+1

Quite often the size of the nipple/areola complex are reduced at the time of the procedure for macromastia ( the more acceptable term  for males, rather than gynecomastia).  It sounds like you got a good result from your procedure. Now all you have to do is get your surgeon to do a relatively  minor procedure using local anasesthia to mak e the areola smaller. Depending on the amount of pigmented tissue there is the final result should be areola who size fits your self image. If there is a lot of pigmented tissue you may initially have some gathering of the skin around the areola, leaving a wavy appearance to the skin. This will become flattened with time.

In any event, you need to be seen in  person  by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to assist you in making a decision as to what is best for you. I hope that this is helpful for you . Jon Sattler, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California.

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction for Men & Women

+1

Dear B1988:

Areola reduction may be a viable option for you. Areolar reduction is often performed in conjunction with gynecomastia reduction, breast reduction and breast lifts. When performed by itself, it can be done in an office setting under local anesthesia.

The procedure reduces the size of the areola by removing excess pigmented skin from the circumference of the areolae. For men the goal an oval shape oriented horizontally. For women a circular shape is more attractive. Areola reduction leaves a scar around the periphery of the new, smaller areola, which tends to bend into the normal pigmentation.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon