Reducing/removing Skin Graft Scars?

When my daughter was 17 mo old she spilled boiling hot water on her face and chest. She had third degree burns and needed a skin graft from her thigh, she is now 3.5 and healing wonderfully. My question is this, could the scar on her chest be reduced or removed all together by using a combination of abrasion and spray on skin cell treatment? Could this work on the scar left on her thigh from the donor site? Eagerly awaiting you opinions and I sincerely thank you for your time and help.

Lasers can improve these scars

+2

First off, let me say that I am sure this was a tremendous amount of hardship to go through and I hope you and your daughter are staying positive. Burn scars are extremely difficult to treat but there is some mounting evidence showing that lasers are capable of remodeling these scars and improving the appearance and even function of the skin. Given her age, treatment might be a bit of a challenge and is best discussed in person. I would recommend seeing a board certified dermatologist who has a very high level of expertise in laser surgery. The technology is fairly new and only a handful of people throughout the country have experience in treating these types of patients.

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Burn scars and skin graft scars can be improved with laser and Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM

+1

I would use the fractional co2 laser as an important treatment in improving the texture of the scar, followed by a pulsed dye laser for the color. If there is a brown pigment to the scar, I would also begin Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM creams. 

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.