Possible to Decrease Amount of Fat in Lips?

I am insecure about my lips, i am African-American and my upper lips have a lot of fat which in turn make it look like my upper lip is protruding i was considering jaw surgery but the problem is not really my jaw. So; i was wondering if there is a way to remove fat from the philtrum area, not decrease the size of the lip itself but just the amount of fat in the philtrum area? I really want to fix my mouth.

Philtrum

+1

i would love to see photographs of the problem. please seek help and evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon

Reducing the philtrum

+1

In general, there is very little fat in this area. It tends to consist of skin and muscle. Removing muscle can result in movement irregularities. Removing the lining of hte lip may decrease the protrusion than the entire lip but would be difficult to do selectively.

Thinning the large lip.

+1

Yes, this can be done by removing a piece on the lip on the inside. This will make the lip smaller and leave the scar on the inside.

Lip Reduction surgery

+1

Without front and side photographs of your lip it is impossible to give your specific suggestions on your condition so the discussion can only be in generalities.

A protruding lip where the wet lining (mucosa) constantly dries can be reduced by taking a horizontal/transverse wedge of the lip leaving a scar on the inside of the lip.

However,there is NO operation I would care to do on the philtrum in anyone with an intact lip (IE NOT a revision of scar patient or a cleft lip patient). Scars placed in this location are visible from across the room and doing them in an African-American greatly risks a highly visible scar which would trade one potential deformity for a much worse one.