How to Reduce the Length of my Nipple (Not Areola)? (photo)

I've been self-conscious about the length of my nipples for years. I recently visited a cosmetic surgeon who made the procedure sound very trivial: simply cutting off however much I wanted removed and putting band-aids over them. Because it sounds fairly easy yet I would be charged around $900, I'm considering doing it myself. Does anyone have any recommendations of whether or not this is a feasible idea (assuming I can manage the pain)? If so, what tools/ drugs would you recommend I use?

Not home surgery

+2

As the other reviewers have emphasized, this is not a procedure you should attempt yourself.  Consult an ASPS board-certified plastic surgeon who will discuss the options of amputation technique versus my choice, which would be a retraction method using a circumferential incision at the base of the nipple.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Nipple reduction in a male

+1

is not a commonly sought procedure but it certainly can be done.  As the prior posters have mentioned, this is a do-it-yourself procedure.  But fees can vary depending on how you want your reduction done.  A simple amputation as mentioned by your doctor can be done and at less costs then what was quoted.  If you wishe to narrow the base of the nipple, the procedure becomes more complex and will cost more.  I suggest you see other doctors for second opinions and cost estimates and go with whomever can best meet your goals.

Curtis Wong, MD

Male Nipple Reduction Concerns…

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

No, I would not suggest that you perform the surgery yourself;   you expose yourself to significant risks/complications…

The male  nipple reduction technique that I utilize it is different than what the you have been offered. I  prefer to use a reduction technique that does not “amputate” the nipple and requires healing of the nipple stump.  The technique I use involves removing a segment of the lower part of the nipple and using the upper part of the nipple as a flap.

Again, I would  strongly suggest  that you avoid any “self surgery”.

Nipple surgery

+1

Do not do this yourself!   That would be a big mistake! Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD