How Can I Reduce the Appearance of my TT Scar? (photo)

I'm an African-American female, age 25 that decided to have the "Mommy Makeover" after the birth of my daughter. It's been a little over a year since I had the surgery and the scar has not improved in appearance. What is the best method of removing the appearance of scars on dark skin? Also, is it too late for a surgery revision? The Dr. never did the lipo as promised. He said that I didn't need it however, I've struggled with "love-handles" since the surgery. Is it too late to bring that up?

Improving a Tummy Tuck Scar

+2

It appears from your photo that you have an irregular and slightly darker scar from the surgery. This often results from uneven tension on the skin as the body heals. There are options to help even out the scar contour, although this will likely never be symmetric as the left side is higher that the right. The color of the scar is a challenge to manage in African American patients and often there is nothing you can do. Keeping the scar out of the sun after a revision will be necessary etc. As for lipo, you could improve your waist with additional lipo, but you would need to see a surgeon in consultation to make a determination. 

Vincent Marin, MD

How Can I Reduce the Appearance of my TT Scar?

+2

The posted photos are concerning as well as your written prose. The scar seems high, irregular and lipo could help the hips. Best to have an in person discussion with your chosen surgeon. But a second opinion in person might work out better for you. But you will have additional fees. I would revise the complete scar to make it more even and try to lower it, lipo your hips. Fees could range from $4,500 to $6,500. Sorry for your issues. And yes you could try a decorative tattoo it can look very nice. But you still will need lipo. 

Scars after tummy tuck

+1

In terms of your scarring, have you tried Scarguard?  It has active ingredients which I feel work to improve the appearance of scars.  Also, remember time is your friend and scars can generally improve over time for up to a couple of years. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

How can I reduce the appearance of my scar?

+1

This is a good question and may potentially have several answers.  Lets start with the easiest one.  First, I have seen some patients get a nice tattoo over the entire length of their scar to hide it better.  So get ivy vines, roses, celtic patterns, etc.  Second, you could try to get the scar lasered with a pulse-dye laser that helps fade raised or colored scars.  This will likely take 6-8 treatments and could cost several hundred dollors.  Then if that didn't work you could always go back to option one.  Finally, and likely the best choice is to have a board certified surgeon try to improve the appearance of the scar by revising the entire length of the scar and trying to lower it further with the addition of lipocontouring.  This will still leave a scar, but would hopefully allow you to better conceal it by making it thinner and lowering it below your pant line.  I hope this helps.  Good luck, Dr. E. Sternberg, Jacksonville, FL.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon