How Can I Reduce Swelling More Quickly After Eyelid Surgery? (After Stitches Were Removed)

I had upper eyelid surgery on June 28th and had my stitches taken out on July 3rd and i also had extra eyelid skin removed. i was jus wondering if there is anyway to make the swelling go down any quicker..? My doctor said not to use ice packs anymore and to do warm packs but i was hoping there was a quicker way to lessen the swelling so i dont have to wear sunglasses out everywhere and can start wearing make-up

Lid swelling after surgery

+2

can persist, depending on what was done during your procedure.  If you had fat removed due to your ethnic eyes, the swelling can last for long periods of time.  Elevation is the simplest thing you can do at this point.  Give it time and it will diminish.

Swelling after blepharoplasty

+1
Maximum swelling occurs for about 3-5 days. A few patients may even have eyes that are almost swollen completely closed. Most of the swelling will be gone in 7 days, but it sounds like you are still experiencing some swelling. When you sleep, use several pillows to increase drainage with gravity and keep your head elevated whenever possible.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling Resolution after Eyelid Surgery

+1

Generally speaking, ice is most helpful in the first 48-72 hours. After that, it can be soothing but won't really hasten the resolution of the swelling. Obviously, avoiding strenuous activity and aspirin or other products that can affect platelets is essential. Other things that can be helpful include arnica montana (either in pill form or as a topical gel) and bromelain. Please make sure to check with your surgeon before initiating any new therapies.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

No good way to hasten resolution of swelling after blepharoplasty.

+1

There may be some benefit in using ice during the perioperative period.. One swelling is been established it's resolution is pretty much up to the body. Avoid massage or any other trauma to the area.

How to reduce swelling 1 1/2 weeks after eyelid surgery?

+1

I would agree that ice packs would not be very useful to reduce swelling around your eyes a week and a half after your eyelid surgery.  Personally, I don't think that warm packs normally help, but your surgeon has the most knowledge about your particular procedure so I would not contradict his or her instructions.  It really just takes a matter of time for the swelling to resolve.  Normally, it would be okay to use makeup at this point, but I would confirm that with your surgeon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon