How Can I Reduce Swelling After Photofacial?

I had my first Photofacial treatment yesterday, and under my eyes is very swollen. Is there anything I can do to help the swelling go down?

Photofacial Postcare

+2

After your laser/IPL treatment your should have been given post-care instructions to refer to for any problems.  Swelling or edema is not uncommon.  The day after the procedure many patient experience additional swelling when they awake from sleeping and the lympatics not draining. 

Continuing to ice (which should have been started the day of the procedure) approximately 5-15 minutes per hour will be helpful.  A very small percentage of pateints get a very vigoruos swelling response  and evaluation from the physician will be necessary.

Annapolis Dermatologist

How to reduce swelling after photofacial

+2

There may be some swelling and transient redness in the area of treatment for several hours.  If there is persistent redness or blisters, that would indicate a burn.

If there is just swelling, apply ice to the area (through a cloth or tissue so as not to cause a freeze) for 10 minutes every 2 hours for the next day or two.  That should help.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Photofacial

+1

If you are experiencing swelling after a photofacial treatment, we encourage patients to apply ice to the area.  Make sure to put a cloth over the ice and do not apply the ice directly to the skin.  This can be applied to the area for about 10 mins per hour.

Photofacial

+1

Cool compresses to the area will help.  Avoid overextended periods of ice to an area.  I have seen people burn their skin with excessive ice exposure.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/elitemdspa

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.