Want to Reduce the Size of my Implants, Can This Be Done Without Surgery?

Is there a way to have saline removed from existing implants without having invasive surgery? Or do I have to have smaller implant replacement?

Deflating implants

+1

If you want less volume in your implants you  may either need surgery to lower the total volume or have a new implant with smaller dimensions exchanged. 

Breast implant downsizing. Without surgery?

+1

No.  Down sizing an implant will require surgery to access the implants.  If they are silicone they need to be removed and replaced.  If they are saline, some will access the valve and take fluid out.  This method also presupposes that the implants were overfilled when they went in.  Manipulation the valve is also not something you want to do.  The best bet for most is removal and replace with smaller implants.  Some plastic surgeons had put in implants with ports that you can access through the skin, but these had an increased rupture rate so most plastic surgeons went away from this procedure.

The other thing to think about is that if you downsize, you may have extra skin that may be needed to be treated with a lift.

Best to talk with your board certified plastic surgeon and see what is best for you.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Downsizing Breast Implants

+1

Downsizing your saline implants without surgery is impossible unless you had adjustable saline implants placed originally.  These implants have small domes beneath the skin that are used as access points for removal or addition of saline.  If you do not have these implants then you have to have the original implants removed and replaced with smaller implants surgically.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Reducing size of breast implants

+1

Reducing the size of saline implants involves surgery to access the existing implants and this cannot be performed non invasively.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Breast implants: down sizing.

+1

There is no practical way to reduce the size of the implants wihout surgery. Decreasing beyond the recommended fill range is likely to be associated with a higher risk of implant rupture due to crease fold failure. In all likelihood, a new set of implants will be required.

How to make implants smaller

+1

There is no way to reduce implant size without some procedure.  If you have silicone, then you have to change them out.  If you have saline, some fluid may be able to be removed, however this would depend on how much "overfil" is present.

Bottom line, either learn to live with your situation, or you will need surgery.

Good luck.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast Implant Size Change

+1

Breast implant size changes require surgery. I recommend complete implant replacement to a different size. I typically do not recommend valve access and removing fluid. Although this procedure also requires surgery, implant valves are not meant to be accessed more than once, your warranty could be affected, you may feel more implant folds, and the overall size difference would be so subtle, it isn't worth it. 

Hayley Brown, MD

Changing implant size

+1

soso2010,

If you are wishing to change your implant size, the only way to really do it is by changing your implants.

Silicone implants cannot have their volume adjusted.  Saline implants can have their volume adjusted but it does require surgery, and the amount of volume that can be adjusted (to stay within the implant volume limits) is minimal, not enough to warrant a full surgery.  Thus you're left with the option of exchanging your implants for a different size.

There is also an adjustable implant however it is rarely used and you likely do not have it.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

No way without some type of Surgery

+1

Unfortunately, the saline implants can't be made smaller without going in and removing saline using the port.  This can be done under local anesthesia, but may void the warranty if you go below the recommended minimal fill.  If you go with smaller implants you could go to virtually whatever size you want.  Again, there is no way to do it without surgery.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Down-sizing breast implants

+1

Saline implants are designed to be filled within a certain volume depending on the size. This classically is from a 30-60cc difference (1-2 ounces). Whetether or not you would see the change you want for that small of a volume. I would guess that you want to be able to appreciate a change in your breast volume and it may require smaller implants. Depending on how much excess or lax skin you have with the change, there may be a need for a lift or skin tightening procedure.

I hope this helps

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS