How to Reduce Scar Tissue on Lip?

I had a growth removed from the inside of my lower lip. I have now developed a hard scar tissue on my lower bottom lip. Is there anything I can do to reduce the size of the scar tissue?

Scar Tissue on Lip

+1

First of all, I would recommend that you see the doctor who performed your surgery for a couple of reasons. The most important reason is to be sure that we're talking about scar tissue. I'm not sure what was originally removed, but the doctor who performed the surgery (and has the pathology report on what was removed) should evaluate the surgery site to assure that the lesion is not recurring. That same doctor should be able to suggest treatment options if the firmness is truly thickened scar tissue. There are no good over-the-counter options for the type of firmness that you're describing, but there are some options that an experienced surgeon can perform. But first, have the doctor check out the surgery site to determine what the "firmness" is.

Early treatment of scars

+1

It is usual for scars to feel thick and hard in the first few months. In the early phase of healing, fibrous reaction and scar formation is most severe. As time passes, the scars become less firbrotic and softer. This process can take upwards of one year. Most cosmetic scar revisions are delayed by one year to allow for this process to complete.

Having said this, there are a few things that can hasten softening and flattening of scars. They include pressure application and injection with cortico-steroids. In your case, I assume that the scar is less than six months old. You can start with massaging of your lip (applying moderate pressure), several times a day. You may also consult with a plastic surgeon to discuss injections of steroids. If the scar is not too bothersome, you can leave it alone and it should improve with passage of time on its own.