How to Reduce Scarring from Piercings?

I have snake bite piercings (two piercings under the lip resembling 'snake bites'). I have had my snake bites for about 4 months now and want to remove them. I am worried about scarring/keloids.

I'm removing them because I want to become a Correctional Officer in the future. Any advice on what I can do to reduce keloids/scars from forming would be greatly appreciated!

Removal of scars from snake bites, or lip piercings

+1

I usually remove the scar and the epithelialized tunnel in one operation, resulting in an improvement in scars.

Snake bites and scarring

+1

I amnot sure if these "snake bites" are tattoos or piercings? If they are piercings, then anything that cuts or pireces the skin will leave a permanent scar. They often stay red for several months and then settle down. If they are tattoos, then they may be amenable to some lasers.

Correcting Snake Bite Lip Piercings

+1

I would remove the piercings and allow the holes to close by themselves. If they do not, you may require an excision of the holes which will give you a short horizontal scar where the piercings had been. The likelihood of the scar to be very noticeable depends on your race and location of the scar in relation to the moving parts of the lip.

Dr. P. Aldea

Scars from piercings

+1

First, take out the piercings now and let them try to shrink. They might need to be excised or they might close on their own. Massage the holes and watch for thickening and see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon early if thickening occurs to have steroid injections to minimize the tendency towards keloid formation.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS