Ask a doctor

Is It Possible to Reduce Prominent, Overfolded Antilex by Cutting Away a Piece from It? (photo)

I have seen many examples where doctors cut a piece out of the ear horizontally (a triangle) to reduce the size of the ear. This ''cutting'' includes cutting a way pieces of the antihelix. However, when someone has a sharp and overfolded antilex, is it also possible to cut a piece out of the anthilex, vertically? (see picture example), to reduce its ''foldiness'' and promincence? And yes, I know there are other ways (cartilage-support) but I'm asking about this specific method.

Doctor Answers 1

Removal of Cartilage from Ear

  This piece of cartilage can be removed but you will have a scar in its place.  Usually the ear can be recontoured without removing cartilage from the ear.  Kenneth Hughes, MD otoplasty ear pinning Los Angeles, CA

Have a question? Ask a doctor

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.