How Do I Reduce Large Pores and Prevent Dark Spots from Acne?

I'm 26 years old and my skin started breaking out very badly when I was 23 years old. I've tried Proactiv but it did not work for me. Right now I'm using Neutrogena and its helping but I have a lot of damage from when my skin was breaking out badly. I want to know, what should I do to clean my pores and help reduce the size of my pores and prevent dark spots that acne leaves?

Intradermal Botox - Reduces Pores and Blemishes

+3

Hello Lexie,

To clean your pores you should wash your face with a cleanser that contains salycylic or glycolic acid. Also using Rein-A will help keep the pores from clogging up with dead skin cells.

I have had a lot of success with using Intradermal Botox (Botox injections in the skin) to help reduce pore size and tighten skin giving it a nice smooth tone. I have also noticed that blemishes and dark spots from acne also improve from this treatment.

Works very well and results last 4-6months.

Obagi Newderm System may help with your problems

+2

Consider Obagi Newderm system with Tretinoin. This should take care of your problem, but before you start, see your dermatologist or plastic surgeon to make sure you are the right candidate for it.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Prevention & Non - Surgical Solutions

+1

Pores appear due to formation of blackheads which have to be cleansed and/or extracted from the pores.  Most effective cleansers for blackheads include those containing glycolic acids ranging from 1%-3%. A pore minimizing toner is key to maintaining desired results. Toner should have exfoliating properties of salicylic acid to clear the blackheads (that cause large pores primarily) and kojic acid to help eliminate the dark spots from acne.  Other effective options that have demonstrated high effects include chemical peels. The peels should be performed once or twice a month to clear out the blackheads to shrink the pores and induce collagen production to repair and renew damaged skin from acne. SPF is of highest importance to prevent dark spots from the sun.

Frank Lista, MD

Tough Problem without a Quick Solution

+1

Greetings Lexie,

Unfortunately you have a very difficult problem for which there is not one answer. Your best course of action would be consultation with a dermatologist to help you get the acne under control. For the pigment irregularities, your dermatologist can help but if they do not treat cosmetic issues, consultation with a facial plastic or plastic surgeon can be helpful. To control your acne consider either oral or topical medications. If you are looking for the high end medication for severe acne, consider Accutane. There are side effects and blood tests are necessary but it has a very good success rate. For the pigement irregularities, you can try topical hydroquinone bleaching agents or possibly IPL or TCA peel treatments. Again, consultation with an experienced physician would be necessary to determine what is best and help explain all of the risks of the procedures. Good luck.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are a number of lasers that can treat pore size...

+1

There are a number of lasers that can treat pore size and, as well, active acne. One such laser is the Thermascan laser. It heats the collagen in the skin and causes pore size contraction as well as remodelling. It also treats active acne as well, thus it would probably prevent that redness that you see from active acne.