Can I Reduce my Saline Implant Size? (photo)

I have had saline implants for almost two years now.  I have Mentor smooth round high profile 350-3380's. Volume used was 420cc inserted through the periareolar.The result after surgery was not what I wanted, I wanna a tear drop look on the top of the breast, not rounded (all this is from my side profile). My doctor said they will drop with time but it never happened.and feels very uncomfortably can't wear a bra My question is if its possible to reduce the water from saline implants, so by breast would look so full , and will be the same insigion?

Decreasing Saline Breast Implant Volume To Reduce Upper Pole Fullness

+2

While it is certainly possible to remove volume from a saline implant, it may not however create the desired shape you want. You would have to reduce it significantly, possible below the minimal fill volume to achieve that effect. This places the implant at high risk for an early deflation due to low fill volume. You may need to consider changing to a smaller implant or one that has a textured anatomic shape to achieve adequate loss of upper pole fullness.

Achieving a different breast shape may require a bit more than removing saline...

+2

Hi there-

The answer to your question is that, yes, saline can be removed from your implants using the scar you already have.

I am not so confident, however, that this will achieve your goal for breast shape. 

I would carefully communicate to your surgeon how your current shape differs from your goal (be careful not to be accusatory in your communication, but rather be open and speak in the spirit of more closely approaching your goal) and see what they recommend.

Good luck

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Can I Reduce my Saline Breast Implant Size?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. You demonstrate nicely what you would like to achieve. Yes, the same incision can be used to decrease breast size/volume.  Although saline can be removed from the existing breast implant, reducing the volume to the manufacturer's  recommendations may not achieve your goals. In other words, it may be necessary to utilize a smaller breast implant to do so.

I would suggest that you communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon in a clear fashion, as you have done here.  He/she will be in the best position to advise you about the best breast implant size/profile most likely to achieve your goals.

Can I Reduce my Saline Implant Size?

+2

The same incision can be used, the volume can be decreased, and the apparent superior fullness can be reduced.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Saline implants feel their best when they are overfilled.  If they are filled at the minimal volume or lower, they feel like an under-filled water balloon and they stand a higher chance of deflation.  You have nicely described what you are looking for, but it seems that you have developed capsular contracture resulting in the rounded look at the upper pole.  If, as your surgeon has said, your implants would have dropped you would have ended up with what is called "bottoming out" because you already have an adequate inframammary segment.  So, if you do not have capsular contracture you would need smaller implants to achieve your desired look, not reducing the volume of your current implants.  Finally, most experienced plastic surgeons will tell you that saline implants are not "re-usable" anyway and if you re-insert and remove the fill tube in order to adjust the volume you are increasing your chance of deflation.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Overfilled saline implants

+1

I agree that your upper pole fullness "problem" is due to overfilling the implant.  Most surgeons, including myself, do this regularly for multiple reasons.  It is possible, though, to take the 40cc overfill out of it to give a more natural shape.  One thing to consider, though, is that this will worsen rippling and the "crinkly" feeling on the sides, particulary when you bend over.  Another option would be to take them out and go for a lower profile implant (saline or silicone).  I would stay away from gummy bears in your case, because I do not think that your situation justifies the added complexity.

Frederick G. Weniger, MD, FACS
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision

+1
Thank you for your question. Although you have an excellent result, high profile implants works well for patients who want more upper pole fullness/roundness and not a tear drop shape.  Moderate or moderate plus implants work well for patients who want a more natural upper pole.  Getting a more natural shape will affect the volume of the implant and you will likely have to go a bit smaller.  Alternatively, an anatomically shaped tear drop implant is also an option. These implants work well in precisely defined pockets at the time of initial augmentation to prevent rotation and and abnormal shape.  It is much more challenging to use an anatomical implant for breast revision due to the shape and size of the pocket although not impossible.  Nonetheless, a revision will be necessary to achieve the outcome you desire. Saline cannot be removed from the implant without surgery.  Discuss this matter further with your surgeon. All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes to the reduction of saline to the minimal fill of 380 cc's from 420 cc's. But will the result be achieved you desire??? Best to exchange the implants to a smaller fill volume like 300 cc's. But this will have additional fees incurred. 

Implant appearance

+1

The photos you posted look fresh post-op( there are steri-strips on them).  I would love to see the two year follow-ups.

Reducing size

+1

To reduce size in this instance, I recommend changing to a different implant style with the same base width. A moderate plus implant with a similar diameter can be filled with less saline yet avoid having to make significant capsular adjustments. It gives less upper pole fill. Ideally you don't want to change pocket dimensions much.  Alternatively the newer gels with form stable silicone can be used- they offer more of a "tear drop" shape,  but I wouldn't use the same periareolar incision.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon