Can I Reduce my Man Boobs Using Zeltiq? If Yes, Can You Recommend a Doctor in the SF Area?

I have man boos since I remember.

Zeltiq for "man boobs"

Zeltiq CoolSculpting is a good non-surgical option to help reduce some of the excess volume in your chest.  However, Zeltiq will NOT address any glandular tissue - it will reduce only what is fat.  That being said, I highly recommend you come in for a consultation to determine how much of your tissue is fat and how much is glandular.  We will know upon exam what kind of realistic result you can expect.  We have had great success when treating gynocomastia in the past - though patient selection is key.

Dr. Grant Stevens

CoolSculpting is Great for Stubborn Pockets of Fat

CoolSculpting is best at eliminating stubborn pockets of fat that don't respond to diet or exercise. Usually we find these areas in the love handles, lower abdominal area, and thighs. It is not generally an effective option for treating gynecomastia, or excess breast tissue in men. That's because for a lot of men, the excess tissue is not simply unwanted fat, but also includes glandular tissue as well. We've helped pioneer state of the art techniques to perform effective male breast reduction that leaves only a very small, inconspicuous scar - about 3mm in length. In terms of non-surgical techniques, however, there are none that can compete with surgical gynecomastia correction.

Male Breast Reduction and Coolsculpting

Male Breast Reduction is an off label area for coolsculpting. However, the results if performed at an expert coolsculpting center can be impressive. Zeltiq.com is a good resource to identify a coolsculpting center in your area. Consult with a board certified physician who provides both surgical and nonsurgical options to best understand the optimal treatment plan for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cool Sculpting can help treat man boobs

Cool sculpting can treat the fatty area of man boobs but not glandular tissue of the breast .  This tissue is very firm normally and needs to be removed surgically in most cases.

CoolSculpting & Breast Tissue

Coolsculpting is a relatively new procedure that has high satisfaction rates. The procedure is most effective when treating small localized collections of fat. Results are excellent with this procedure, but dependent upon the appropriate patient selection.

Although coolsculpting would probably remove fat from your breast, it would have virtually no effect on the breast tissue itself. When true gynecomastia is present surgical excision or occasionally liposuction is a better option.

If you have male breast enlargement, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to direct you to the procedure that’s best for you.

Zeltiq for male chest area

Male breasts can possibly be treated with CoolSculpting, although it is off-label and not common practice. The hand piece may not actually fit correctly on the desired area. If the area is mostly fat, it may work, but you would have to consult your physician to see if you would be a candidate. Male breasts can sometimes be a combination of fat as well as fibrous tissue. The fibrous tissue sometimes needs to be surgically excised. If it consists mostly of fat, liposuction can be done. There are different ways to go about it and the best idea would be to get a consultation where you can be seen in person in order to individualize your treatment for the best result.

CoolSculpting (Fat Freezing) for Male Breast Reduction

Gynecomastia by definition is proliferation of male breast tissue.  While  I do not expect that CoolSculpting will reduce fibrous breast tissue,  CoolSculpting may have the effect in some patients of reducing breast area subcutaneous fat excess.

We are currently studying CoolSculpting on men's breasts in my practice.  I am hoping that men with excellent skin tone no nipple or areola irregularities and a small amount of unwanted fat in the breast area could achieve positive results with CoolSculpting.  Although this is something I am studying,  we are currently not offering CoolSculpting for male breast reduction  to the general population.

If you do elect to have this are treated, I would strongly suggest seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs a significant number of gynecomastia surgery procedures in addition to offering CoolSculpting.

There are certainly some cases of gynecomastia that would NOT benefit, and could potentially be worsened by treatment with CoolSculpting alone.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Zeltiq for Gynecomastia

Thank your for your question. Zeltiq results in a 20-25% reduction in fat. To completely remove the "man boobs,"  I would suggest gynecomastia surgery. I believe this will give you the results you are looking for. Best of luck.

CoolSculpting for gynecomastia

If you are examined and are found to have pseudogynecomastia, or enlarged breasts related to fat, not breast tissue, then you might be a candidate for this off-label treatment of CoolSculpting. See a plastic surgeon, but also discuss the possibility of liposuction vs. CoolSculpting.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Cool sculpting and Gynecomastia?

If your  “man boobs” consist of adipose tissue then  cool sculpting may have some beneficial effect. If however you are dealing with true gynecomastia,  then do not expect much of a result,  without surgical intervention.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.