What Can I Do to Reduce the Lump on Top Part of Nasal Ridge After Rhinoplasty?

I had a closed rhinoplasty with diced cartilage from septal and ear cartilages a week ago to elevate my dorsum and my Dr. also reduced the size of my tip. My tip is very pronounced now, but my main concern is at the top of my nose bridge where my doctor injected the diced cartilages, there is a bump that is still slightly red. It doesn´t hurt to touch but seems like it the diced cartilage edge/not absorbing.Can someone give me insight on what that bump could be and what I should do? Thanks.

Nasal lump on dorsum

+2
Generally speaking a lump on the nasal ridge can simply be rasped or filed to eliminate however it sounds like you had grafts put in which could be the problem and are causing the bump. I am a bit confused as you stated that the doctor injected the diced cartilages? So I am unclear of your exact procedure. I will say that being one week post surgery your tip is swollen still and will take some time to dissipate the swelling in the tissues so be patient. I wish I could be of more help on the dorsal matter I am unclear of the exact procedure. Please go in and speak with your surgeon as soon as possible and discuss your concerns and questions and he/she should be able to answer your questions and hopefully bring you some peace of mind during this recovery phase. Best regards!

Slightly red bump

+1

There are multiple possible causes for what you are describing and only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this

Sam Naficy, MD

Viability of Diced Cartilage

+1

Diced Cartilage Grafts on the dorsum can be tricky. Even the most experienced surgeons who use use diced cartilage can end up with palpable grafts. If the cartilage is not diced fine enough, you can often feel (or even see) the graft once the swelling subsides. I have done the research and wrote two journal articles about the survivability of diced cartilage grafts alone and diced cartilage wrapped with deep temporal fascia. Although we never saw infections in our grafts, I do know of excellent surgeons who have reported diced cartilage grafts that became infected and absorbed. Make sure that you make your surgeon aware of your symptoms and have him or her evaluate you for these potential issues.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Lump after Rhinoplasty

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, if you have a red colored lump on the top of your nose, after a Rhinoplasty, you should see the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Rhinoplasty for evaluatioon and possible antibiotics.  It's not typical or normal to have a lump or a red disolored lump along the bridge of the nose and this may indicate inflammation around or within the diced cartilage that was used to build up the nasal bridge.

Diced cartilage

+1

You may indeed have a small fragment of cartilage protruding. I am worried about the redness and wonder if there is an infection. Sometimes massage will push that fragment down if you can feel it. Work with your surgeon.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Diced cartilage bump

+1

This soon after surgery it's hard to know exactly what the bump you're noticing is due to. It may be inflammation around the diced cartilage graft. I would have your surgeon check it out to see if anything further needs to be done.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Redness in my skin

+1

my concern would be that the redness is secondary to a pressure point from the inside due to a cartilage edge or rolled edge. see your doc for some early manipulation.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative lump after rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible that the edges you are feeling are from the cartilage graft that was placed. It is important as to how long ago you had your rhinoplasty. If it is within several months, remodeling goes on and taping at night and when you can during the day will help to flatten those areas out. Sometimes steroid injections help as well. In the worst scenario any irregularities after one year can be filed down. I would discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeron.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early Postoperative Molding Of Diced Cartilage Grafts In Rhinoplasty

+1

At just one week after surgery, the swelling that still exists makes it impossible to see what the true final shape of your nose will be. However, some manipulation of the diced cartilage grafts over the dorsum can be done early if there are obvious irregularities or asymmetries. In fact, molding of these diced cartilage grafts can only be done early in the first few weeks after surgery. Thereafter, they become quite firm and immobile. If you have concerns about your dorsal shape, even though it is early, I would get back and see your surgeon as soon as possible. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Dorsal bump

+1
Pictures would be helpful to asses. Redness could range from swelling of the skin, a temporary mark where the splint was, and in rare cases infection. The bump could be temporary swelling, or cartilage if the cartlage was not diced finelly enough. I would recommend close follow up with your surgeon. Michel Siegel , MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon