How Can I Reduce the Lip Filler in my Lips?

I got my lip done yesterday. my upper lip is way too bigger than my lower lip, I know there will be swollen going on for a while, but the swollen will go down by what percentage exactly? i dont look normal, what should I do?

Wait a week to ten days before judging the final result.

Wait a week to ten days before judging the final result.  It appears that you have some swelling, which is expected.   This will go down with about one week and then you can tell what you really have.  If you are still concerned, go see your doctor.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

440 West 200 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

It is not possible to determine what percentage is swelling

It is not possible to determine what percentage is swelling if you’ve had your lips done in the same day.  Simply waiting is the most important thing when determining results.  You need to wait for at least a minimum of a week and until the shape is no longer changing.  These products do absorb water in the first 24-48 hours, so it will look like it’s over-corrected, and, in addition, there may be swelling or bruising just from having a needle placed into the tissue.  Once all of the swelling and possible bruising has gone away, if the upper lip is disproportionate to the lower lip, either some of the product can be dissolved with hyaluronidase in the upper lip or additional product can be added to the lower lip to create symmetry. 

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

157 W 19th St
New York, NY 10011

Lips to full after injection

First and foremost to properly inform you on options I would need to know the type of filler that was used. If the filler is a hyaluronic filler it will dissipate in time three to six months. There is an option of having hyaluronidase injected to the sites to help dissolve the over filled area. If you were augmented with other fillers then it really depends on what was used and the technique. Keep in mind that you are only a few days into the recovery phase and I would make an informed decision with your surgeon after you wait at least a week to determine how much is swelling vs. actual injection material. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Just wait

if you didn't have one of the permanent fillers, it should go down. The first day is too early too judge.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

1702 Ohio Avenue
Lynn Haven, FL 32444

Lip Filler Video: Swelling can last a few days

Yesterday is too early to do anything for it.  Sometimes you can get more swollen if you were on blood thinners before your injections. It is a good idea to stay off blood thinners for 2 weeks before and after your procedure for fillers or other procedures that can cause bleeding (surgeries!). Don't worry, you can always inject hyaluronidase to remove these fillers. Your doctor can help with that.  One common way of breaking up the balance in your lips is by making your upper lip bigger or close to the size of your lower lip.

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

1810 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Upper lip to big

I agree, without knowing what filler was injected into your upper lip and how much was used, there's not much informatuon that i can give you other than aesthetically....the proportion, of the lips, are off.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Lip Augmentation swelling

I would love to know the technique, material used for augmentation, the type of anesthesia, and volume of material placed.  Assuming you have had an injectable filler for lip augmentation, swelling is very common and may last 1-2 weeks. One of the most common injectable fillers used to date is hyaluronic acid.  If there remains assymetries secondary to hyaluronic acid, judicious localized injection of the enzyme hyaluronidase may help in its resolution.   

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

4055 Ste-Catherine St W
Westmount, QC H3Z 3J8

Big lips after filler

It is very common to have significant swelling after having the lips injected with any filler.  Since you are early post treatment, you should ice them and wait two weeks prior to making a final determination if they need adjustment.  You should have been informed of the swelling that would occur post-injection and should have been given instructions on how to deal with that.  If the lip filler is a hyaluronic acid filler it will resorb over six to nine months.  If you have significant asymmetries, the hyaluronic acid can be reduced with an injectable enzyme, hyaluronidase, that will break down the filler.

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

605 Old Ballas Rd.
Saint Louis, MO 63141

Too much filler in the lips

I agree that you should wait about two weeks before deciding whether or not you have too much filler.  If you have had Restylane, Perlane or Juvederm injected, a substance called Vitrase (Hyaluronidase) can be injected to dissolve the unwanted fullness.  If you have had other types of fillers, it will depend on which type you have had as to when they will reabsorb and become less noticeable.  Some fillers are even permanent.  If you are unhappy with your results at 2 weeks, I would suggest discussing these issues with the physician who injected the filler.

Adam D. Stein, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

4301 Lake Boone Trl
Raleigh, NC 27607

Swelling may have a significant effect on the size of your lip. I would wait 10-14 days until your swelling has come down to normal or nearly normal levels. At that time you need to know
- which filler was used
- how much was placed in each lip
if you are still unhappy with the volume and you had a hyaluronic filler (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane) these may be dissolved by injecting the filled areas with Hyaluronidase. If you had a non- HA filler of which there are many, you will have to wait until the products dissolves by itself.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119