Downsizing 350cc Breast Implants to 250cc Okay?

I had 480cc (teardrop) Breast implants put in prior and 8 months ago, and had a Breast reduction and lift. The doctor took my size down to 350cc (round). I am still a D cup size and looking to be a full C with a tight round look. My doctor is going to put in 250cc HP by just removing the last implants and replacing them (no anchor cutting). Is this a bad idea? What will happen to the extra skin? Will the smaller implants move in the capsule?

Reducing the breast implant size

+1

Reducing the implant size in your case will most likely require some skin envelope tightening to accommodate for the smaller implant and your request to have them look tighter.

You won't likely be happy

+1

Of course without photos it is impossible to say for sure, but the strong likelihood is that if you go down to a substantially smaller implant and don't re-tighten the skin, you won't get the "tight round look" you want. Plus all the other issues of an implant swimming in a bigger pocket will be problems.

Patients with multiple surgeries usually have to realize that they are probably trying to get something their bodies just won't allow them to have. A previous lift/reduction patient just doesn't have the elasticity to ever look "tight."

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Less incision yields less results

+1

By replacing your current implants with smaller implants your breasts will be slightly more saggy and most likely will not give you a tighter rounder look. Lifting and tightening the breast tissues sounds like what you would be helped by. Discuss your goals and concerns with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

The tight round look is not achievable for you

+1

I agree with the other surgeons who have already answered your question.

A significant reduction in implant size will likely leave you with some excess skin and a pocket that is too large. The implants will certainly be moving around causing distortion. If you still think your breasts are too large, then decrease the implants combined with another reduction might be possible. Nonetheless, it will be impossible to achieve a "tight round look" given your surgeries and the size of implants and cup sizes you describe.

You have already undergone a lot of surgery in terms of your breasts. The best advice is to wait. Give your breasts (and yourself) time to heal. More surgery may not be the answer for you. Get another opinion and come to an understanding of what is actually possible given your body. Good luck!

Sirish Maddali, MD

Breast Reduction

+1
Going with a smaller implants means that there will be slightly loose skin and the implant with be in a larger pocket. What would need to be done is to tighten the capsule on the inside to keep the implant from falling to the side.
A tight round look is probably not possible in your case as you have already had a reduction, and lift which likely means that your skin quality is probably not very tight or good.
I would be careful with having further surgery, you have already had lots of surgeries on your breasts and going for more is not going to help things in the future.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

You won't get a tight round look

+1

Removing the present implants and replacing them with smaller HP implants will not give you a round, tight look. As a matter of fact, a round, tight look is usually only possible if you

1. were an A cup to begin with

2. Have never had children

Your base diameter at 250 HP will be significantly smaller than the original 480 teardrops. I suspect your implants will be"swimming" in a bigger pocket unless the pocket itself is made smaller (no small feat).

Make sure your expectations can be met. You could be backing your surgeon into a corner trying to achieve something that is not possible. Have a second opinion and that may help your decision. You have already had 2 surgeries within one year and you are about to have a third. Make sure it is worth going through surgery again.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon