Weight Lifting After Implant Replacement?

I'm two weeks PO for a Breast Implant replacement. Went bigger, no issues. Silicone, high profile. I had no pain. Started lifting my 35 lbs son at 10days, feel nothing lifting him. Dr is conservative. Tomorrow I'm aloud to workout lower body/no running. I'm a weight lifter, nothing too buff,I am going stir crazy. I do not do chest, but shoulders, back, & arms daily/weekly. Just to compare, what are some other Dr recommendations for weightraing upper body? I'll follow my Dr for the most.

Exercise after Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+2

Although your curiosity about other doctors' recommendations is understandable, I would strongly suggest that you follow your own plastic surgeons instructions completely.  Remember that he is well aware of exactly what was done, how you are progressing and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Weight lifting after implant replacement

+1

My recommendation is to follow your physician's recommendations- I usually have patients avoid excessive exercise or heavy lifting until the incision is nicely healed- about 3 weeks

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

When to go back to weight training....

+1

I'm glad you are having such a smooth recovery.  Really, it's best to follow the advice of the person who was just "in there" two weeks ago - your surgeon.  It would be such a shame to do "too much too soon", get a hematoma, and require additional surgery.

Personally, I'd recommend waiting another 10-14 days before you get back to major lifting at the gym.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Weight lifting and working out after a breast augmentation

+1

As someone who also works out regularly, I can understand how frustrating it can be waiting to recover and heal after surgery.  The reality is that while you may feel fully recovered, your body is still healing -- the healing process may not be complete for up to one year.  Obviously, you will be able to return to your exercise routine before that.  Each surgeon has his or her own preferences and recommendations regarding when you will be able to return to full physical activity -- these recommendations may be based on how extensive the surgery is, what exactly was done, and individual concerns or differences related to your surgery.  For these reasons, I would definitely recommend that you follow your surgeon's recommendations.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and body building

+1

For primary breast augmentation I have patients wait about 6-8 weeks for upper body workouts. With a revision replacement it might be shorter.

Weight Lifting after Breast Augmentation

+1

Your doctor is giving you good advice.  Although you may feel fine and want to get back to weight lifting, it takes at least three to six weeks for blood vessels to heal following a surgery.  Weight lifting will definitely increase your blood pressure and could cause these vessels to bleed.  Be patient and follow your doctors advice.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Resuming Weight Lifting after Breast Augmentation

+1

Most surgeons would recommend waiting 6 weeks minimum before resuming strenuous exercise involving your shoulder girdle (yes, the pectorals are part of this!). Follow your doctor's instructions! Remember that people who treat themselves have fools for patients.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

+1

Six to eight weeks minimum, usually with decision made based upon a visit at the time. The issue is particularly important in weight lifters with strong pectoral muscles. Exertion before the capsule has formed securely around the implant may cause lateral displacement of the implants since those strong muscles will push the implants out to the sides (and a bit downward).

I might add that some surgeons advise their lifter patients to stay away from weights for a full year. Follow your own doctor's instructions. All the best.