What Size is Right for my Body Type?

I am going in for breast augmentation surgery in December. I am 5'5 128 lbs and my current bra size is 34 B. I want to make sure the implants are not too big for my body frame as my friends say that I have a small frame. I was thinking of going around 450 cc (which I think is a full D cup) I just don't want to regret that I didn't go bigger :(

Smaller is Better

+2

At size 34 each 100 cc's of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  To go to a size D, you will need 200 cc implants.  At your size I doubt you would be able to accommodate a 450 cc implant placed retro-pectorally.  If an implant that large is placed, it will displace inferior and laterally and you will need a revision in the immediate future.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant choice

+1

It is difficult to suggest what implant would be best for you. 450cc is pretty large. if you want to get anidea how it looks for you, I suggest doing a baggy test filling it up with saline and placing it in your loose bra and putting a tight t-shirt over it to give a rough idea of the size.  Good luck!

Implant size

+1

450 cc Impants are, in my opinion, plenty big.  When you go with larger implants than that, you start having problems related to the large size, such as sagging, thinning out of the breast , and bottoming out. I recommend not,going any larger.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Determining Implant Size

+1

In my opinion these situations that we find ourselves in with patients can be simplified. Sizing is not about a number. In fact, I do not even discuss numbers with my patients. If a patient walks through the door and says they want x-cc implants I have to educate them about how sizing works. The best analogy I can relate this to is buying shoes. When you go to buy shoes how do you do that? First you start with the size your foot is, right? So if your foot is a 6.5 you try on all kinds of 6.5 size shoes. Some may be tall, some might be flat, and some might be somewhere in between. You would never try to buy a size 8 shoe because it would be too big for your foot, right? Breast sizing is the exact same way. Implants come in several different profiles that are like different heights of shoes. Implants can be low profile, moderate profile, or high profile. There are even implants that are higher than high. That would be your high platform shoe. Each implant style give you a different look. Now, your breast has a defined width that we call the base diameter of the breast. This would be analogous to the show size. Your breast base diameter never changes. It is what it is. So now, you can choose several different style of implants that fit the number of your breast base diameter. That really narrows down what implant is best for you. So once you know your breast base diameter you can try the low, moderate, high or really high implants on. The only think you have to decide is which look you are going for. You would never put an implant that is 13 centimeters wide in a patient whose base diameter is 10 centimeters. Half the implant would be in the armpit. So, this is very simple to me. My patients get a few choices that fit their breast and that is it. I will not put an implant in a patient that is too wide for their body because it will harm them over time. Hope this helps. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Sizing Implants

+1

This is one of the most common questions regarding breast augmentation asked on Realself.com, and it is also the most difficult to answer for the doctors.  For reasons regarding both bra cup variability (a non-standardized measurement system), and unpredictability of how any given implant will affect a change in breast size in any given woman, there is no recipe to determine what your asking with any good accuracy. That is why most breast surgeons ask patients to bring in photos of women (celebrities, models, nude models) who's proportions they would like to have.  This gives the doctor the best idea of your aesthetic goal.

As Dr. Boyd was alluding too, the BEST way for your doctor to determine the correct implant for you however, is through dimensional planning; the process of matching the anatomy of your breasts and chestwall with the implant's volume, diameter, and projection.  This will lead to a long term good result with the lowest risk of complications and reoperation.

If the size needed to obtain your aesthetic goal is much larger than the size that best fits your anatomy, you will need to make a decision which direction you want to go in.  As you deviate further from your anatomically matched size towards your aesthetic goal size, you will incrementally incur higher risk.  

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Determining Implant Size

+1

This is a common problem. In my ofice I have several different sized implants that patients can place inside their bras to get some idea what size they would like to be. I generally let them make the decision.

Over my 25+ years in practice, I have now and again had to replace smaller implants with bigger ones - at the patient's request. Only rarely has it been the other way around.

Whatever implant you choose, make sure that its 'footprint' is not too wide for your chest - otherwise your arm will brush against the breast, which may extend into your armpit.

Good luck!

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Hello

+1

Every person is different it has a lot to do with patient proportion and body styles. In our practice we tell our patients that 200cc -225cc equal to one cup size. If you’re a B cup and want to go up to a D cup you’re looking in the right range.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Selecting the right implant size

+1

When i make recommendation on implant size/profile, I consider each patient's body (height, weight, chest width/height, breast thickness) as well as her desired look.  It is important to have a good communication with your surgeon in regards to your desired goal.  Without photos and direct exam, I cannot give you a recommendation.  However, 450cc should be able to give you a full D based on your height and weight.  Please also remember that bra size will vary depending on different brand of bras.

Sugene Kim, MD

Try on sample implants to have an idea.

+1

Helle there,

Generally every 200CCs is a cup size so if you want it to look natural I would recommend not to go bigger than 450CCs. Try on the sample implants when you go for your next consultation and you can put your shirt down to picture it underneth your clothes.

John W. Pinnella, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon