5 Years Post Neck Lift, Can I Get the Skin Tightened Without Muscle Tightening?

I had a life lift neck lift about 5 years ago. Can I get the skin tightened again without tightening the muscle also? The muscle still feels tight but the skin is sagging again.

Secondary Necklift

+2

You most certainly can have the skin tightened again. Despite having surgery, the normal aging process continues to occur. It is not uncommon to require "maintenance" of your neck lift. Often times, the old incisions can be used so that no additional incisions/scars are required. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the most appropriate option for you. Good Luck.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Skin Tightening After Necklift

+1

Yes, it is possible to undergo skin tightening without receiving additional muscle tightening. I suggest visiting an expert facial plastic surgeon who has experience in the performance and aesthetics of the neck.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Consider Ultherapy

+1

Dallas7391: In addition to a conservative re-advancement of the neck flap to "redrape" the skin, which would require surgery, you may consider nonsurgical options like Ulthera, which is FDA approved for non-surgical skin tightening.  I use it as a "tune up" for my post-facelift patients who don't meet the criteria for surgery but desire additional improvement.  It's not an on/off switch but develops slowly, as collagen develops between the underlying muscle/fascia and overlying skin.  

Lavinia Chong, MD

Re-do Neck lift

+1

You can certainly re-tighten your neck skin. Its best to bring a copy of your original operative report if you will be seeing a different surgeon. A thorough examination to evaluate incision placement and current hair style will be important.  A review of your pre and post op photos from your original neck lift may also be helpful to better assess your goals and expectations. 

Jason S. Cooper, MD

Skin tightening

+1

If an anterior corset type platysmaplasty was performed (muscles were tightened in the front of the neck) or even if the platysma was tightened laterally or at the sides, the muscle may very well not need additional work.  The skin may only need to be elevated and readvanced.  You should see your board certified plastic surgeon to plan what is appropriate for you.  Good luck.

Neck lift with skin tightening only

+1

While it is technically possible to have a neck lift performed with only tightening the skin, it may not be the best method to achieve the best results.  When only the skin is tightened, it does generally put more tension on the skin, which can result is poor scar healing.  When the tissues under the skin are tightened, it tends to produce longer lasting results and also relieves some of the tension on the skin, which normally will produce better healing of the scars.  You should discuss your options with your surgeon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon