Redo Vaser Liposuction Abdomen and Flanks

I had vaser liposuction on my abdomen and flanks 18 months ago. The doctor took out 1000 with solution. Didn't notice any difference -- in fact, it looked like my stomach got bigger ( everywhere else is the same)! He wants to do a redo since I can still grab a lot of fat. Question-- is it much more painful the second time around? What about the recovery? First time around I was swollen for many months.

Redo VASER liposuction

+1

Not knowing your BMI, age or even gender it is difficult to tell if the initial procedure was performed adequately given that only 1000 cc of fat was removed. Frequently if there is a firm fullness in the treatment area, I suspect an undetected seroma or fluid collection that encapsulated. VASER- assisted liposuction can be repeated but there may be extensive fibrosis or scar tissue which may cause an unpredictable healing and be difficult to perform well under only tumescent liposuction and oral sedation. At this point I would recommend to my patient to have the revision procedure done under IV sedation or general anesthesia so that the procedure can be completed. Post-operative care and management of edema and fluid collection in my practice has significantly reduced need for touch up procedures. Also note that liposuction does not reduce abdominal fullness due to visceral lipomatosis and this should be discussed with your surgeon to set appropriate expectations and minimize disappointment with the procedure.

Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Something sounds unusual I would obtain some other opinions before repeating the "Vaser" with this surgeon. I might consider Smart Lipo TRIPLEX. 

Vaser assisted liposuction can safely be repeated.

+1

Vaser assisted liposuction can certainly be repeated, and in fact, it works very well in areas that have previously  been suctioned. I do not think the pain would be worse than the first time. There are several variables  which should be considered when evaluating your previous experience and in pondering your next step. What kind of anestesia was used; how long did you use compression; how soon did you resume normal activity; are you helping the result with exercise and diet? You should discuss all these things with your surgeon, who I hope is an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon.