Redness Around Scar After Erbium Treatment?

I had an Erbium treatment to smooth out a scar on my lower arm. The erbium has caused redness around my scar that is still persistent 4 months after treatment.

What can be done about this? Should I give Fraxel a try, go for another Erbium treatment, or just let it be?

Redness after Erbium laser scar treatment

+1

This does not sound like more Erbium will help at this time.  There are several other technologies that can focus on the redness.  These include BBL, IPL, flash lamp pulsed dye lasers at 585nm, or even the "old" continuous wave dye lasers at 585 or 577nm.  There are all these choices because nothing works on everything. Some of these technologies have been around since the late 80's but can still work when the others don't.  The goal of all is the same: shrink or damage the capillaries that have multiplied or dilated to cause the discoloration.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Try IPL to reduce redness around scar after Erbium laser treatment

+1

4 months is too long to have redness after Erbium laser resurfacing of a scar. The arm heals much slower than the face but 4 months is too long.

See your doctor and ask if you have a hypertrophic scar.

IPL in the 550-650nm range can be used by an expert to reduce redness or inflammation after laser resurfacing.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Take a break from laser treatments

+1

It is normal to have redness after and laser skin ablative treatment - laser skin resurfacing.  I would recommend waiting at least 6-9 months before having another ablative treatment.  There are technologies that can help reduce redness if it is a persistent problem

Michael Kulick, MD