Redness, Pigmentation and Freckles: What Can I Do?

I have very red cheeks that get even more red and sometimes sting and burn when I exercise or am in sunlight or hot weather, I also have freckles on my back chest and shoulders I would like to get removed. I am 26 year old male and live in South Africa and have not really looked after my skin up untill the lst year or so, I would like to have some recomendations just so when I got to a local skin clinic I will know if they are prescribing the correct treatments. Any adivce would be appreciated

Sounds like the earliest form of rosacea...need to modify your exposure to

+1

those factors that precipitate the redness...wear a hat/shirt in the sun, keep cool, drink ice water or iced tea while exercising and maybe keep a cold wet towel nearby...probably also worse with hot foods...temperature or spicy...be careful there too...the VBeam is a good bet for the redness...helps temporarily keep the vessels in check...IPL is okay too...neither are long term solutions...there isn't any at present...need periodic maintenance...watchwords...be careful...

Combination of IPL and Fraxel re:store is ideal.

+1

Unfortunately, living in very sunny climates with fair skin can cause severe damage but there are so many treatments available to repair your skin. You may want to start gradually with a few IPL (Photorejuvenation) treatments which target some of the sun damage and freckles as well as redness and rosacea. These are easy to do with little-to-no downtime. Then you may go on to do a Fraxel Restore laser treatment to remove and residual pigmented spots and any precancerous lesions that may only appear later on in life.

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon