Redness and Swelling Six Months After Rhinoplasty. Very Concerned?

I am a male who had an open rhinoplasty almost exactly 6 months ago. I have become very distraught during my recovery due to chronic flare-ups in "swelling" on the bottom half of my nose. Every day at some point I experience a chronic flare up in swelling. It includes a throbbing tingly sensation, a hot feeling in the tip of my nose, tenderness, redness, and worst of all, when this happens the bottom half of my nose looks as if it has inflated and very quickly gets bigger. Should I be concerned?

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

It would be a good idea to check your symptoms with your surgeon and have your nose examined.  While it is not typical, intermittent swelling may occur after rhinoplasty surgery. However, you report redness, tenderness and swelling which may indicate an infection or, as was mentioned earlier, a reaction to some of the sutures.

Redness and Swelling Six Months After Rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi,

I assume that you had no artificial implants. These  flare ups are not typical although can happen they should resolve with a years time. If not, you may have a chronic indolent infection going on.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

I would see your treating surgeon as soon as possible and discuss these symptoms with your surgeon. You may be having an allergic reaction to sutures that are in the nose or some other complication. This is not a normal response post rhinoplasty especially six months into the recovery phase. I would suggest sooner rather then later for a follow up appointment. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD