Is It Normal To Have Redness and Mondor's Cord After Breast Reduction?

I had a breast reduction 1 month ago and have noticed redness around the incision sites that is warm to the touch. Also, I have noticed the appearance of Mondor's cord. Are these reactions normal?

Redness and breast reduction

+1

Redness of the incisions after breast reduction may be normal and may not. It is best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Inflammation will still be present one month after breast reduction.

+1

It takes months to get over the information generated by surgical procedure. Redness and fascial bands, which are the byproduct of swelling, may persist for many weeks after breast reduction.

Questions about redness of a breast reduction scar

+1

If you have redness around your breast reduction incision then it could be an infection.  You will need to be examined to determine if this is an infected suture or a cellulitis.  

Mondors Cordsn After Breast Reduction

+1

Mondor's cords are very common after all types of aesthetic breast surgery.  They usually resolve with conservative care.  The redness may be an indication of infection although it would be unlikely for you to have a wound infection one month after surgery.  If it persists you need to see your surgeon.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD