Will Redness After Photodynamic Therapy Resolve on Its Own?

I got a severe phototoxicty reaction when I had ALA Photodynamic therapy. 3 hours incubation, activated by omnilux re 633 for 10 minutes. I had excessive crusting and peeling, which left my skin red and raw. It has been 6 weeks and my skin still has red areas. I was told this is from new blood vessel formation and increased blood flow.

Will this go away in a timely manner, or am I going to have to get the v beam laser or something to get rid of the new vessles and redness? thank you

Redness after PDT goes away

+1

Mikemills,

Good question. Usually PDT does not lead to scarring.  If the redness is post-inflammatory it will resolve on its own but it may take several months. If it is due to telangiectasias (small blood vessels) that your skin recruited to the area than you may need pulsed dye laser to make the redness go away.  Your dermatologist should be able to guide you in the right direction, but definitely give it 8 weeks before doing anything.

Good luck

Dr. Mariwalla

New Haven Dermatologic Surgeon

Therapeutic options for prolonged post-inflammatory redness after procedures

+1

You are experiencing what we call post-inflammatory erythema after a photodynamic therapy (PDT). 6 weeks a bit longer than usual. You should see a board-certified dermatologist and consider low-dose anti-inflammatory antibiotics and adhere to consistent daily sun protection. Avoid triggers of facial flushing such as caffeine, alcohol, hot beverages, spicy food, and sun exposure. If redness persists for another few weeks, you may want to consider IPL photofacial. Some patients also have had success with OTC Afrin spray (generic okay) on the skin to achieve few hours of temporary redness relief.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon