Full Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair-Almost 2 Weeks Post Op, Possible Infection or Incision Separation? (photo)

I had a FTT with MR on June 29th. About one week post op my incision directly below my belly button and my belly button incision started to turn red. I am now 12 days p op drains in my hips are very sore and red. One had a pus pocket. My main incision has dark soft flesh. My belly button is tender and crusty with a hole in the lower incision. I can see pink flesh.He said to place a cotton ball in it. My ps is being nonchalant about it all. I see him again Friday. Any second opinions?

Tummy tuck problem postop

+1

Thank you for your question. It is rather difficult to answer your concerns without at least a picture however your description is in keeping with delayed healing or perhaps infection. Call your PS and ask for an earlier appointment to reassure yourself.

London Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon nonchalant

+1

Your description sounds like an infection could be brewing but your surgeon also knows what that would look like and if concerning, would be treating you more aggressively.  Your surgeon does want you to have a great experience and has a vested interest in you having a great result.  If your concerns are limited to some redness around drains and wounds that isn't spreading, its likely a self-limited problem.  However, if your redness spreads, your pains worsen, you develop a fever or drainage changes, you need to contact your surgeon.  Your surgeon really wants you to have a great result.  And with social media, you can always rate your surgeon after you have healed.

Curtis Wong, MD

Full Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair-Almost 2 Weeks Post Op, Possible Infection or Incision Separation?

+1

A photo might help, but for this type of post-op problem you are not likely to get a useful second opinion over the internet--an in person evaluation is needed, so if you so choose, you can find a surgeon in your area in the RealSelf listings. All the best.