Very Red Upper Eyelids Four Weeks Post Bilateral Blepheroplasty and Ptosis Repair Surgery, Why? (photo)

You kindly replied to an earlier question regarding my concern over my lopsided appearance and droopy right eyelid after bilateral upper eyelid blepharoplasty and Ptosis repair. This has started to slowly improve a bit but suddenly my upper eyelids, particularly my right eyelid, have started to become very reddened although not feeling sore. The initial bruising had appeared to have gone so is this normal and why has it happened?

Both eyes look pretty heavy.

+1

The redness is not necessary cause for concern.  This represents dilatation of the blood vessels in the eyelid and is indicative of an active healing process which is consistent with you being 4 weeks after surgery.  Increasing swelling, pain, discharge, and redness on the other hand might be more consistent with an infection.  Time will resolve the redness.  I guess is that you may need a revisional procedure if the eyelids do not improve over the next couple of months.

Postoperative "hyperemia"

+1

basically, any injury or surgery or cut to skin and tissue causes a new and growth of blood vessels both in the incision itself and in the surrounding tissues. In some patients who have had eyelid surgery this is more apparent than others and often times asking the question "why?" Can't really be answered very effectively. In short four weeks after surgery is not long and this will likelyin the weeks and months ahead. Additionally the position of your crease and your eyelid after your ptosis repair may change slightly. If you have voiced your concerns to your surgeon and are concerned that this person is not listening it's most likely that they are listening but that your postoperative course and healing is not unique. Based on the photographs you could put it within the spectrum of "normal." Give it time and things will settle down.

Chase Lay, MD
facial plastic surgeon and eyelid surgery specialist

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon