Red Ring Around Mole? (photo)

When I was pregnant with my son last year I noticed a mole that I hadn't noticed before on my side. It started itching a few months ago and now is growing a red ring around it which itches. Nervous this is some sort of skin cancer. I've also developed two other areas of itchiness near my hip which are becoming discolored.

Mole removal of a pigmented mole that is changing

+1

The mole should be biopsied to assess the changes in the pigmented lesion. I would perform the mole removal under local anesthesia in my Los Angeles plastic surgery practice.

Changing mole with surrounding redness

+1
Because you developed this mole during pregnancy and it is now changing, it would be best to have it evaluated by a dermatologist. Changing moles in terms of size, shape, color and even surrounding changes could be indicative of something more serious that must be ruled out.

Ritu Saini, MD

Mole removal

+1

I highly recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist for an evaluation and possible biopsy.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Redness around a mole requires a biopsy

+1

It sounds like you need to be evaluated by a board-certified dermatologist and have your mole biopsied.  Erythema (redness) around a mole can be a warning sign of skin cancer.  Trauma or scratching a mole can also cause it to turn red but if this is happening spontaneously, it should be evaluated.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Changing moles need to be examined

+1

Any time a mole is changing, it needs to be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is quick and simple procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon