What is this red rash around incision? 5 weeks post op (Photo)
Doctor Answers 3
Red rash with pruritis (itchyness).
A visit to your plastic surgeon will probably help give you peace of mind, as well as a diagnosis and treatment suggestions.
The photo you provided looks like a topical allergic rash. This could come from ointments, soap, tape, or laundry detergents. Uncommonly, this could be caused by a topical skin fungus.
Allergic red rash around breast augmentation incision
That said based on your photograph the appearance of your rash is very typical for an allergic reaction. This can happen from tape, dressings, topical creams, detergents and ointments.
Are you applying any creams to the incision? Have you purchased a new bra or have you started using a different detergent when you wash your bras.
Please see your plastic surgeon and ask if topical cortisone might help.
Severe rash around breast augmentation incision
- This is unlikely to be a skin glue reaction - since it is so long after surgery.
- It may be a reaction to internal sutures as they dissolve (or a topical allergy to a bra, new laundry soap).
- The photo is consistent with a topical allergy.
- But for this to start 3 weeks after surgery, one must make sure it is not an infection.
- Call your plastic surgeon to discuss what is going on - and if s/he agrees, consider a topical steroid cream on the skin in about 1 week. Best wishes.