Red lines in whites of eyes

Hi, I had LASIK 2days ago and in one eye I have a red circle all the way round the White of my eye, which looks like blood. The dr said this is normal and it will go away. It doesn't hurt but it looks horrific, does nyone know how long it will take to go?

Not to worry......

+2

You have a very common finding after LASIK. The suction during the procedure caused small blood vessels to break. Unless very large usually does not cause any problems. It can take a few weeks to resolve. Frequent artificial tears are helpful for comfort and to maximize your LASIK result.

Layton Ophthalmologist

No worries

+2

You likely have a small subconjunctival hemorrhage.  When the vaccuum is applied before the microkeratome cuts the flap, it can break a blood vessel and essentially cause a "bruise" on the white part of the eye.  Depending on the size, it goes away in days to weeks.  Afterwards, you should be no worse for the wear and your outcome should NOT be affected by this.

Orlando Ophthalmologist

Redness of the Eye after LASIK or Cataract Surgery

+1

It is not uncommon to see redness of the eyes after Lasik or the removal of cataracts. The cause of both is the same and results from surgical manipulation of the eye. I would ask you to consider these as "bruises" and know they will resolve, like any bruise, in about a week or so. Lasik surgery is somewhat less traumatic than cataract surgery, so you may see resolution at an earlier date. If this does not occur, you should call your surgeon.

Web reference: http://kameen.com

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Sub-conjunctival hemorrage is like an "eye hickey" and very common

+1

You have a benign sub-conjunctival hemorrhage. This is very common and comes from the suction ring used to make the flap. I liken it to an "eye hickey". It can get bigger before it gets better but goes away in a week or two, sometimes a bit longer, just like a black and blue mark in the skin. As there is no skin pigment in the conjunctiva, the bright redness looks more frightening than it is. Hopefully this reassures you.

New York Ophthalmologist