I Have Red Hair, Freckles with Deepish Wrinkles on my Forehead. 37 Too Early For Fractional Laser Resurfacing?

I don't trust the practitioner I saw. At 37 years old is it too early to begin fractional laserr resurfacing as I heard it makes your skin thinner?I s there a risk of scarring? The practitioner said I'd have open wounds but wouldn't need antibiotics could this be right?

Laser Resurfacing and Wrinkles

+1

Thank you for your question. Laser resurfacing is one of many options to correct wrinkles and discolorations. It is a treatment that can improve the health of your skin and does not cause skin damage in the right hands and in the right candidates. There is post op care that is needed and would depend on each provider protocol. Antivirals are generally a norm prior to this aggressive procedure. It is best to discuss your options and  be certain to be under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for best results and safest treatment options.  I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

Fraxel laser restore and repair can be done for wrinkles

+1

Fraxel restore and fraxel repair laser are done not uncommonly on young patients for acne scarring. Some physicians do not prescribe antibiotics during resurfacing procedures and some do. The wound of a fraxel repair, CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser is similar to a second degree burn and the Fraxel Restore erbium laser induces microscopic laser beam tracts through the epidermis into the dermis without causing such wounds as the CO2 laser so antibiotics are rarely prescribed. Some prescribe antiviral medication, however, as flare ups of cold sores can occur and this can cause scarring. The risk of scarring is very low but not zero with any resurfacing procedure.

Whether the resurfacing procedure would help your condition or not can not be determined without evaluating your individual condition. If you don't trust your doctor, you should definitely not have an elective procedure with them. See a second opinion.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

In our Practice we have done laser resurfacing on much younger patients for cystic acne, so at 37 years old, no, you are not to young to start.  C02 Fractional Laser  resurfacing is used precisely just for this reason, deep forehead wrinkling, freckling, brown spots, acne, skin thightening etc..you would need to schedule a consultation but this sounds like a good option for you.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Fractional Laser Resurfacing is one option to treat freckles and deep wrinkles.

+1

In this case a consultation would be necessary. Fractional laser resurfacing is an option for treatment but it is a more aggressive approach to treating your concerns. If the line on your forehead is your primary concern, a neurotoxin such as botox may be a better treatment option. If the freckles and brown spots on your skin are the primary concern, IPL or Fraxel Dual are great treatment options which will improve your concerns without as much healing time. Fractional laser resurfacing is also an option but may not be necessary.

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

37 ? laser resurfacing

+1

I don't think that 37 is too young for laser resurfacing but if you have horizontal forehead wrinkles Botox or Dysport might be what you need. You need to see someone that you trust and are comfortable with. I always use antibiotics when resurfacing but do think that opinion on that varies. I use Valtrex as well fro possible fever blisters. What I bet you need most is sunscreen. I am a freckled redhead too so understand. Fractional CO2 laser really cuts down on my freckles. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist