Is It a Red Flag if a Surgeon Does Not Use Digital Imaging?

I've had a consultation with a well-regarded surgeon for a rhinoplasty, but he doesn't use digital imaging. Should I be concerned? Do most plastic surgeons use this tool, and if they don't, should I stay away? Thanks!

Rhinoplasty and digital imaging

+3

When you are considering a rhinoplasty you are looking for a surgeon- remember that. What is possible on digital imaging may not be possible in an operating theatre, and the person who can do digital imaging may not be able to do a rhinoplasty.

All surgeons want to communicate with their patients and digital imaging is just one way.  Some surgeons will use it and others may not, it does not make one surgeon better than the other.

Remember you are looking for a good surgeon, look at before and after results on other patients, listen to if the surgeon is hearing what your goals are. Digital imaging will not replace good surgical technique and a surgeon who listens.

Jeremy Hunt .

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Digital Imaging Before Rhinoplasty

+3

That is an interesting question.  Digital imaging is a tool that allows the surgeon to visually alter the shape of the nose in any way.  We have all seen Photoshopped images that we know can't possible be true.  So the visual image may not be the whole truth.

Digital imaging is best done with a surgeon who can discuss each planned change and use the image to give you an idea (and only an idea) of the final result.  You must keep in mind that even though your surgeon can 'draw' a digital result it is only through experience and skill that the result can be realized.

Lastly, realize some surgeons just don't like the excessive use of technology.  I know an older surgeon that I would be happy to let operate on me and he draws out proposed changes with a sharpie right over your printed photograph.  Best of luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD

+2

Very good question. Digital, 3-D imaging of patients and "possible" results are ONLY a sales tool in my opinion. The imaged produce can not be reproduced in real life. It is an example of "how you MIGHT look" . But this in many patients minds is an implied guarantee. Thus legally there is a fine line if using these tools that the patients NEED to understand. And the prudent PS makes sure the patient is informed that the digital image can not be construed as a result of the surgery. Therefore I agree with Dr Mayer it is the surgeon's skill and OTHER results the patient should be intune with. I personally do not use these tools. Hope that helps. 

Digital imaging and surgical results.

+2

Digital imaging is a tool that some surgeons use. It has nothing to do with the surgical results the surgeon may get on real people. Your best judge of the surgeon is his surgical results on other patients by meeting with them in real life or if that is not possible by seeing long-term before and after photographs.

Video imaging is useful but not necessary for rhinoplasty.

+2

I think video imaging is a very useful patient education to before rhinoplasty. This however is nothing to do with the skills of the surgeon.

Digital imaging for rhinoplasty

+2

It is not a red flag if a surgeon chooses not to use digital imaging as part of the consultation. I prefer not to use it but instead will draw on photos taken of the patient taken in the office. Some docs think that the digital manipulation can imply too much of an expected result even though there are statements to the contrary. I also prefer to show patient examples of similar problems as samples of what can be done. Experience and communication and the most important.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Computer morphing

+2

Computer imaging is a nice tool to set realistic patients for the patient, and also to get the patient and the surgeon on the same page with regard to aesthetic preferences and goals.  It's just one of many tools available to the surgeon, and some terrific surgeons prefer not to use it.  Base your decision on your surgeon's qualifications, results and the rapport you have with him/her rather than on the use of computer imaging.   

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Digital Imaging for Rhinoplasty

+1

Digital imaging serves as an additional means of communication between the patient and the surgeon.  It should never be used as a ‘sales’ tool or as a means of over-promising a result.  The imaging performed should be a representation of realistic results after the normal swelling which takes place after surgery has mostly resolved.  If you feel that the ‘goals’ of your surgery have been appropriately communicated between yourself and your surgeon then imaging may be superfluous.  But in many cases it only serves to enhance communication.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Computer imaging helps consultation process as long as the surgeon can deliver what he shows

+1

Most of my patients coming for consultation for rhinoplasty procedure are very excited about computer imaging done during the consultation process. This great technology allows the patient to visualize final result.  Patients feel they have a better chance to express their expectations working together with a surgeon on their image.   This is now even more enhanced with Vectra 3D technology. Surgeon on the other hand can easily point out the limitations –what can and cannot be achieved. It is just a tool –great help, but should not define surgeon’s skills. The most important after all is surgeon’s experience and his capabilities to deliver the best result for the patient. So please choose an experienced,  board certified plastic surgeon that can demonstrate with before and after photos that he is the one you can trust to change you appearance. Only before and after photos are real and lots of them ! Computer imaging is easy. Surgery is not

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD