I Have a Red Dot on my Bridge, Will This Go Away After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I've had a red dot on my bridge of my nose since about 4 years ago, from time to time i've noticed it get bigger and bigger, right where my red dot is, theres a bone and it feels really tender.. i've gone to one rhinoplasty surgeon and he said that this will go away after surgery for the bump on my nose.. But i've read that i only really need is a laser treatment, so im not sure what to do! my nose IS crooked and broken. Can anyone help me?

Rhinoplasty

+2

I am not sure what that red spot is. Under magnification of your photo I see a scab with some surrounding red skin. Spider angiomas typically have a central red dot that supplies the blood to surrounding spider leg like small skin surface blood vessels. When you apply pinpoint pressure on the red dot the small blood vessels empty and become less visible. The spider angiomas are best treated with a laser. Both spider angiomas or whatever else you have will not improve with rhinoplasty alone. If it is a spider angioma and you are planning on having a rhinoplasty you should have the rhinoplasty first and then get the laser treatment for the angioma when you have recovered from the rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal skin surface telangiectasias that would also be amenable to the same laser.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Skin Problems and Rhinoplasty Angioma

+2

Without an in-person exam, it would be difficult to say for certain, but the mark you have looks very much like a spider angioma.  This is a common skin condition and does not have anything to do with the shape of the nose or bones underneath.  A rhinoplasty would not do anything to a spider angioma.  You would need to have the lesion treated directly.  There are several lasers that would work quite well on that.  A KTP laser or an Nd:YAG laser would probably both be successful.  IPL may also work but the lasers would have a higher success rate.  With your darker skin color, I would suggest the Nd:YAG laser as it is the safest on darker skins and is quite effective.  There are many brands of Nd:YAG lasers.  I have a Sciton and a Lyra, but there are probably 20 more out there.  Be certain you have an experienced laser technician or doctor do the procedure as a burn is possible and would leave a scar.  You could have the laser done before or after the rhinoplasty, or possibly even during it.  The laser treatment is only slightly painful and takes just a few seconds of actual treatment.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Red Dot in Nasal Skin

+1

If your goal is to treat the red  lesion on your bridge, rhinoplasty is not necessary and will not change the skin problem. A good dermatologist will evaluate the lesion and treat it with a laser, a topical chemical, or excise it. Rhinoplasty surgery will significantly improve your nasal appearance.

Vascular malformation of nose

+1

This appears to be a vascular malformation such as a spider angioma that can be treated either with a laser or very fine electrocauterization. It is unlikely to improve or disappear with a rhinoplasty so don't depend on this being a solution. What you can do is undergo a rhinoplasty to improve the appearance of your nose and if this is still present after surgery, later on you can have it addressed with one of the 2 above mentioned techniques.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Red dot on your nose

+1

The red dot may represent a small telangiectasia which is usually amenable to laser treatment.  Without an exam I could not say.

+1

Have the rhinoplasty and see if this area improves. If it does not than laser therapy is indicated. Best to you. 

Treatment Options for Red Spot on Nose

+1

Hi PetiteGalvan,

Without examining you in person and palpating the area of concern, it is difficult to say with certainty what we are dealing with. However, if when you feel that area, you notice a bump or prominent piece of bone under the skin, it is possible that a rhinoplasty may improve this. However, my guess is that there isn’t an underlying bony issue and that the discoloration is only on the skin and is vascular in nature. These can often be treated quite simply with a laser. However, given your complexion you will need to make sure you see a physician who is well-versed in lasers in various skin types, in order to avoid scarring or hyperpigmentation. If you decide to have the rhinoplasty, I would recommend having the surgery first and then the laser after the skin has healed adequately from the surgery. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Dr. Sunder

Sarmela Sunder, MD

Red spot will not change unless specifically treated

+1

The red spot on your nose is most likely a cherry hemangioma, which is a small collection of blood vessels.  This can be effectively treated with either a laser or electrocautery.  

Red dot on nose: will rhinoplasty help?

+1

If the red spot is due to irritation from an underlying bone spike then yes, it will improve after rhinoplasty. If the dot is related to a vascular phenomenon then laser or other modality will be required.  Ask your surgeon: the diagnosis should be straightforward and obvious during a physical exam.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

I Have a Red Dot on my Bridge, Will This Go Away After Rhinoplasty?

+1

Have a consult with a local dermatologist as this looks like it may be a small hemangionathat's treated with a pulsed dye Laser.