Red Bump at Middle of Tummy Tuck Incision Normal ? (photo)

I am 9 days post op from a tummy tuck and today I noticed a red bump at the middle of my incision . It sort of looks like a large red blister and my PS is away on vacation until April 2nd . Is this normal ? Or a infection developing ? Is there anything I can do to make it disappear ? It also looks like my incision is opening in some areas ...

Suture Reaction or Delayed Healing

+1

Most likely you are experiencing suture spitting. You should consult with your surgeon. If he is out of town, he should have someone covering for him.  All the best.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Suture abscess after tummy tuck

+1

I would recommend calling your PS and finding out who is covering the practice.  It is possible to have a suture abscess where an almost pimple forms around one of the sutures.  It is easilty resolved with removal of that suture piece and antibiotic cream.  It is important to have it looked at to avoid the incision opening up a bit. I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

+1

You need to see your chosen surgeon ASAP for post operative care and treatment. This could be a suture abscess forming. 

Tummy Tuck followup when your surgeon is on vacation

+1

It is hard to know exactly what this represents, and I certainly cannot tell whether an infection is developing, but your surgeon's office should have some options for you.  Usually, the surgeon will have arranged with another surgeon in the area to see their patients while they are on vacation.  Also, the office may be able to forward photos (like the ones above!) for the surgeon to look at and decide if treatment is needed.

Of course, you can always take the initiative and call another surgeon in the area to be seen, or go to the emergency room.

James Nachbar, MD