Red Bruise After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Hi dr, it has been 9 days after my rhinoplasty. All other bruises seems to change colour to green/yellow but except one area just in the middle of top nose is still red and not changing at all. It looks like broken blood vessel. I am just wondering if this is normal? I have red by 9 days bruises should be changing colour. Could it be hematoma? Just need reassurance. Kindly advise. Thank you

Red bruise after rhinoplasty

+1

9 days is still soon after your surgery, and it is not abnormal to have some bruising still present. What you are experiencing could be the following:

1) Skin irritation from the nasal cast
2) Residual bruising from rasping of a nasal hump

This is not likely a hematoma or broken blood vessel. The issue will likely improve with time. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as they know the details of your procedure and will be able to provide you with advice. Thank you and good luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after rhinoplasty

+1

It's very common to still have bruising 9 days after a rhinoplasty.  Normally that bruising generalizes to the lower lids and cheeks, but can be more focal for a number of reasons.  The bottom line is that you are probably just in a phase that needs more time for the bridge bruise to resolve.  Hang in there.

As an aside, we often use IPL energy to break up bruises more quickly thanks to some insightful papers by Dr Ed Williams.  You may want to discuss this with your surgeon if you want quicker resolution.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and bruising

+1

Juavez,

Congratulations on your rhinoplasty.  More than likely this is bruising in the very thin skin overlying the hump you may have had in the area.  Giving it more time, sometimes, a few weeks should help the bruising subside.  Occasionally, some people develop a reaction to an adhesive if you had a scar in the area preoperatively.  If so, letting the redness improve with time, generally helps the redness. Talk with your rhinoplasty surgeon during your visit to see his thoughts.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon