Can Red Acne Scars Be Treated With Fraxel?

i had acne scars on my temple area. They are not deep, quite shallow. But however, what makes it more prominent is the fact that they are red at the bottom of the scars. I would like to know whether or not, this redness can be improved or, even better, eliminated with fraxel restore. I know that it takes 4-6 treatments with restore to treat the depression. But, how long does it take to Improve the redness if restore is able to improve it?

Fraxel and Acne Scars.

+2

Fraxel will not address the redness of the scar.  You can get treated with a Pulse Dye Laser, IPL, or KTP to address the redness and then Fraxel will be good for the indentations of the acne scars. 

Dr. Grant Stevens            Marina Plastic Surgery Associates         Marina del Rey, CA          The Institute

Fraxel lasers may improve redness as well as scar tissue.

+2

The Fraxel laser uses water as its target. Because blood vessels have more water content than the skin around them, there is some preferential targeting of the blood vessels. The dermis also has significant water content, which allows the same laser pulse to target the collagen in the dermis and results in a wound healing response that repairs the scar tissue gradually. To target the redness even better, the V-Beam laser ( a laser made specifically for treating red blood vessels) could be used by itself or at the same treatment session as the Fraxel

Richard Fitzpatrick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

#Fraxel for scars

+2

Fraxel is a good laser for improving scars. just know that scars are permanent and they will never go away. its also possible that they might improve with Fraxel laser treatments but no one knows how many sessions it will take to make them look better. u need to be seen by a dermatologist first.

Misbah Khan, MD

Fraxel Lasers and Acne Scarring

+1

Thank you for your question. Fraxel will take several treatments to improve acne scarring. The redness should fade with time or can be improved faster with IPL treatments.  I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for best results and safest treatments. I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Fraxel for Acne Scars

+1

Fraxel® laser works by creating microscopic “wounds” to a targeted area of the skin, triggering the body’s natural healing process and promoting collagen production and new, healthy skin. Although this laser can be helpful in smoothing out acne scars, it is not the best option for reducing redness.  Other lasers such as a pulse dye laser, IPL (intense pulsed light) may be more beneficial for reducing the redness of scars. Consult a board certified dermatologist to discuss a treatment plan to address both the scars and your redness concerns.

D. Scott Karempelis, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Re: Fraxel and the Treatment of Red Acne Scars

+1

The acne scar tissue itself can certainly be treated with Fraxel Dual or Fraxel Repair.

The choice between the two lasers would largely depend on your skin type. Fraxel Repair is safe for individuals with very light skin. Fraxel Dual can be used on individuals of any skin type.

Both lasers work by triggering your skin’s natural ability to produce collagen. The new collagen then fills in the acne scar depressions.

However the redness itself may benefit from a different laser. Every laser uses a different wavelength to perform a specific job.  For  example the wavelength of 595nm is absorbed rather well by hemoglobin that is carrying oxygen. This is why it is used by the Vbeam laser to address redness by getting rid of unwanted blood vessels.

Here is an example of a patient who was treated by the Vbeam to get rid of redness on his chest from Rosacea

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon