Removing Recurring Lipoma?

I have a very large Lipoma approximately 30 to 40 pounds on my lower back down and buttocks. This was removed surgically about 6 years ago and has grown back. At the time of removal it was about 20 to 30 lbs. Any suggestions? I am very worried, my age is 58.

You need the right surgeon for this

+2

If the original one was 20-30 pounds and now you estimate that it is twice the weight, you need it removed by an experienced surgical oncologist. In New York I would go to Sloan Kettering and have it done there. Even if it is not malignant, you need someone who is frequently removing large tumors and will get it all this time.

Not To Worry

+1

Assuming the original biopsy was sent off to pathology, this was a benign lipomas. Lipomas can grew to massive sizes. This does not imply malignant transformation. In fact, many pathologists do not believe that a benigh lipoma can transform into a liposarcoma, the malignant version. They feel that the "lipoma" was actually a well differentiated liposarcoma at onset.

So I would not worry.

However, it would be prudent to have this excised before it becomes even more of a problem. Lioomas can insinuate themselves into muscle tissue and become much more difficult for the surgeon to excise. Eventually, if not already, you will have symptoms.

So, I would not worry but do get it taken care of please.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.