Does Lipoma Recur?

I had a lipoma removed from my the base of my head in 1999 and again in 2004. Now it appears to be back, and it's causing extensive headaches. Is this common to re-occur? Do I need to start with a CT scan or MRI?

Lipoma recurrence rare, but they can especially when they are large

+1

Lipomas are not all fatty tumors so my first question is whether or not your original tumor was a lipoma. Was it sent for pathology?

They can recur but do so less than 5% of the time when they are small. The larger they get, the more their tendency to grow back. An imaging study in your case may not be a bad idea but I would see your surgeon first.

Orange Plastic Surgeon