Recurrent Infection from Nose Implant After Revision Rhinoplasty

Hello, I'm 23, female and just had revision rhinoplasty last May to remove my silicone implant due to infection. It was replaced with my ear cartilage. I was told by my new surgeon that removing the implant was the only way to get rid of the infection but still the infection came back. Three weeks after the surgery the infection is back together with a hole exposing some cartilage and oozing pus.

Is there a way to get rid of the infection, and will it involve removing the ear cartilage since I've already had 3 surgeries and don't want another.

Probably the ear cartilage needs to be removed

+2

A cartilage grat from the ear, placed in an infected bed that becomes infected and exposed itself needs to be removed in most all circumstances.

Silicone Nasal Implant Infections

+1

I would recommend starting antibiotics and removing the ear cartilage graft.  There are also instances were surgeons will leave part of the silicone graft.  If this is the case, this portion of the implant will also have to be removed.  Once the infection is completely resolved, a rib graft may be needed.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Silicone nasal implants and infection

+1

Most of the time when a nasal implant becomes infected it will need to be removed. Not always however, but usually. After the implant has been removed and several months have gone by to allow for complete resolution of the infection and the damaged tissues to heal and mature, then the nose can be reconstructed. If you try to hurry along the process, you increase the chance of another complication like further infection.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection after Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, but this is one of the potential complications with silicone implants. Your first priority should be to eliminate the infection, which may necessitate removal of the cartilage grafts. Don't worry about reconstruction until the infection is eliminated.